Thursday, 26 January 2012

Whisks and Tongs

The very first whisk I ever owned was a hand held manual one (see the middle one).  I rarely use it now.  I have to be honest I do have an electric one too that comes out when whipping cream, making meringues or for souffles, though its been a while since I made souffles.  I think the last one I made and blogged abut one was a Feta Souffle .  Long time...
The duck blue whisk one (above) came free with a cooking magazine many years ago.  The one next to it is a mini whisk that I adore using for hot chocolate.
I also have a lot of tongs.  I must admit many of them have over the years been from my mothers kitchen. 

The one time I find myself using them is for serving spaghetti pasta.  I can make such a mess of it otherwise.    I also have a wooden set designed specifically for salad leaves, I promise to showcase that with my homegrown salad leaves next time.

Update: I am feeling much better - health wise and feeling more like myself so have started packing boxes for our move in two weeks time. Sadly the flat has not been sold, and though it is very unlikely, we have reduced the asking price of the flat by quite a lot, hoping for a sale sooner than later.   This means that D will still have to come up a few times until the place is sold. 

Anyway, right now, I am both excited and overwhelmed at all the stuff coming out of my cabinets: gorgeous plate, serving platters, cups and saucers.  I am amazed at some of the kitchen stuff that I am hoarding and has never seen the kitchen lights.  This is certainly going to change.  I don't know why I am keeping them hiding, time to use them, show them off and enjoy them. 

13 comments:

  1. Hello Shaheen: I love the whisks, they are one of my favorite things in the kitchen. And I loved the egg house too, so adorable! I wish you good luck with the move, seems like all is in order.

    Love

    Verónica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Verónica.
      I am sorry I am not coming by much, but once I have settled into my new home, I will be a regular visitor again x

      Delete
  2. I have a similar whisk to your middle one that my great Grandad had and we took it on and still use a lot :-) Good luck with the packing , I hope it goes well and that your place sells soon. PS my eldests blog that he started that you kindly commented on was taken off him by google as he was apparently too young :-( He was gutted poor boy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Scented Sweetpeas.
      I so hope the place sells soon too, don't really want to be thinking about it when we move - time to cut ties and move on.

      I am so sorry to read about your son's blog being taken away. Shame really. Perhaps you should let him be a co-author on your blog.

      Delete
    2. wow Shaheen that is a fab idea re Ethan being a co writer, I will ask him later x

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

    Good Luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely to rediscover lovely pots and plates isn't it. I am getting rid of all my bog-standard ones and just using the pretty/special ones from now on.

    Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better now and good luck with the move. We get our keys next Thursday and then it's cleaning and decorating the whole place before we move in a couple of weeks later.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so is, Sue. Like you I intned to use the good stuff now, who I am I keeping it all for anyway.

      Good luck with the move too. We've booked the removal company. Nervous really, as we have never done such a big move before, with so much fragile stuff. So hoping there is not much damage when it arrives. Also hope the firm is a good one.

      Delete
  5. I must say I love my old eggbeaters - I do use them from time to time - they were a hand me down from my partners mother and so they have a nice amount of wear and character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz,
      Lucky you to have inherited your egg beaters/whisker.

      Delete
  6. I loved my mum's old egg beaters but don't have those sort myself - but I do have a little blue handled one like you and I love it and use it all the time. My tongs though get seconded by sylvia for higher childly duties :-) She even has her own pair!

    Re moving - I have a theory that there are things in this world that only surface when we move house and as soon as we settle they disappear again - shame!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You