Friday, 20 January 2012

Tipping the Scales

Most things in my kitchen have a little story behind them.  So how did I acquire my Kitchen Scales.  Well, after three years in the same job with no promotional opportunities to move forward. sideways or upwards, I decided to leave my job at the Law Centre for one in the voluntary sector that would allow me to develop and travel more.  It was certainly a good move, in fact it turned out to be my dream job with my new role now covering the whole of Scotland and visiting some wonderful Scottish attractions.

My colleagues at the Law Centre who I got on extremely well with gave me some High Street vouchers as a farewell present.  Of course, it had to be spent on kitchenalia.  I never had a good scale, only those plastic ones that served well when I was a student, but now with my first flat I wanted proper things that made it a 'home'. 

I liked the look of the old fashion Antique tipping style ones, rather than digital ones.  I am sure the digital ones are accurate, have benefits like putting the bowl straight onto it and all that, but I just liked the look of the Salter Staffordshire Kitchen Scales.  The cast black iron body and the tear shaped golden steel pan for scooping and pouring.  I also liked the metric weights varying from 5g, 10g, 20g, 50g, 100g to 200g.  I do however sometimes wish it also had a 500g option.
I use my kitchen scale mostly for baking or for making pastries such as the Welsh Laverbread, Mushroom and Puy Lentil Pies featured in my new blog header; Rainy Day Cabbage Pies and Uchiki Kuri Squash and Broccoli Pie.

Do you have a weighing scale in your kitchen? What kind?

11 comments:

  1. It's perfect! I 'd love to have one! Mine is a plastic one buyed in the supermarket, it's useful but not cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is a beautiful scale. Thank you for sharing the photo of it. I do have a digital one and it is in grams and oz so I like that. But I also have a very large scale on my counter, from a post office...got for ten dollars at a tag sale. I love it, but rarely use it. It's more decoration than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have digital electronic scales, but if we had a big Farmhouse-style kitchen I'd want a set like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snap! I have the very same scales and love them! My story is that my sister bought them for me as a Christmas pressie some years ago.....LOVELY post!
    PS: I am telling all my lovely friends who have me and my blog listed on their sidebars, that they need to change the url to http://lavenderandlovage.com now so you get all my latest posts and are up to date! Thanks! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the look of traditional scales but I get more baking done if I use electronic scales :) Also, I sometimes make like the Americans and go volumetric - which loses precision, but gains a lot of time, for recipes where precision isn't critical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid I have digital scales atm. I used similar scales to the above for years and found them more than adequate and loved them. So, perhaps one day soon I may go back to this type. Solid and chunky and rustic and country!! Love them. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a digital that weighs in ounces, which is good for portion control here. I use it to allot cereals and grains, portions of proteins such as tofu and sometimes before making a recipe. Thanks for stopping at mine and leaving your comments. I hope you are keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for coming by my little space and for your comment.And some real cool veg dishes you have here in your blog.....would love to try them out esp your mini pies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do have a lovely antique look, but it's great that they're metric too. And it's great to hear they accompanied a move to a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a digital scale, but I pine for one like yours. Mine eats batteries quit voracioiusly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. aren't these gorgeous! I love old style scales. However I got some lovely green ones that are on my blog banner - they are lovely but impractical as they are just never accurate enough so I have digital ones now but I love the little individual weights for this set - they just look lovely to hold as well as practical

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You