Monday, 23 January 2017

Vegan Pickled Mushroom Stroganoff with Watercress

We haven't had mushrooms for a while.  

I had picked up a load to make Mushroom Lasagne as we had so much cheese in the fridge left over from New Year.  I have made Mushroom Lasagne, but I also made a vegan version of Mushroom Stroganoff as I had a little carton of Oatly cream in my fridge too.  
As well as using fresh chestnut mushrooms in the Stroganoff, I also used a jar of pickled baby mushrooms that I picked up from an Eastern European shop in the town where I work.  My friend at work who is Czech recommended them to me and said they are often used in Stroganoff. She also pointed out a number of other things in the chiller cabinet and on the shelves that were suitable for vegetarian and vegans. 

Mushroom Stroganoff is one of my beaus favourite dishes so I always have a reason to make it, but for those of you who know me through reading my blog, will also know that I like to ring the changes with my dishes, so in went the pickled baby mushrooms and in went the Oatly cream.
I also had some watercress in the fridge.  So I decided to garnish my  mottled brown coloured plate of food  with the vibrant peppery green.  The pickled mushrooms made for an interesting change and for it being vegan, well we didn't even notice the difference. 

I am sharing with Inheritance Recipes co hosted by Solange at Pebble Soup and Coffee and Vanilla as Mushroom Stroganoff is a recipe that we as a couple turn to often as it is one of our quick go to evening suppers; and with Confessions of a Mother Runner and Whisk and Two Wands for Meatless Monday.

Other Mushroom Strogonoff Recipes on A2K  - A Seasonal Veg Table
Chestnut Mushroom and Smoked Tofu Stroganoff
Mushroom Stroganoff with Garlic Chives
Mushroom and Tofu Stroganoff
Lapsang Scented Chestnut and Mushroom Stroganoff

On another note, while I was googling Baby Mushrooms this unusual picture came up, then I decided not to use the term 'baby mushrooms'  for my recipe.
Image source here



Vegan Pickled Mushroom Stroganoff with Watercress
Serves 3 - 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoons of sunflower or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
250g mushrooms, left whole if small or sliced if you prefer

Optional: Jar of pickled mushrooms from Eastern European shops
2 teaspoons Tamari or soy sauce

125ml Oatly cream or single, double or soured cream
100ml vegetable stock
Handful of watercress for garnishing if you want

Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a pan, heat one tablespoon of oil. Add onion and garlic and fry over medium heat until soft and golden. Add mushrooms and continue to saute for about 5 minutes until cooked through.
Add Tamari or soy sauce to the mushrooms, allow it to gently simmer. 

Then turn the heat down and stir in the Oatly cream and  stock and let it simmer for a few minutes until well combined.
Taste ad and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with plain basmati rice. 

Garnish with watercress.

16 comments:

  1. I have never heard of pickling mushrooms!! I am so excited to try this. Thanks so much for joining us for meatless Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the invitation, i will def. join in again now that I know about Meatless Monday being hosted by you

      Delete
  2. I love mushroom stroganoff, but have never used pickled mushrooms- sounds interesting- good idea on not calling them "baby mushrooms"- that pic is so strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming by and commenting, its really appreciated. Yes pickled mushrooms was a new one for me in strogonoff - it worked

      Delete
  3. I love picked veggies but I can't say I recall having pickled mushrooms anytime recently. Happy Meatless Monday, thank you for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, do hope you get to try pickled mushrooms - maybe you will find them at a Deli

      Delete
  4. What a lovely recipe! Thank you for sharing with Inheritance Recipes. I think I will stop using baby mushrooms name as well, can't unsee this image now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Margot. Yes the imagine is interesting,

      Delete
  5. That baby mushroom picture is so spooky! The pickled mushrooms, however, look heavenly - I've tried homemade pickling them before, and they turned out pretty decent. What was in the pickling liquor? I haven't heard of using them in stronganoff, but it does sound like something I'd love. I'm definitely trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So agree Joey.
      The pickle liquor seemed liked vinegar, some seasoning and black peppercorns I think, nothing fancy except a bit of carrot. I have marinated mushrooms but never picked them, but don't think i will the jar was affordable so i will get when i want to make stroganoff again. You should try to get them i think they would be good as antipasti too

      Delete
  6. I often find stroganoff a bit creamy so I think I might like it with pickled mushrooms - and it is nice to know it is what the locals use in eastern europe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna, i used to use loads of double cream once upon a time, but over the years have reduced it to a coating and its still very rich. The pickled mushrooms made for interesting eating, i did like it mixed with the chestnut little bursts of vinaigrette

      Delete
  7. Ha, that picture! This sounds like an interesting dish and I am also interested in your use of Oatly cream as I keep seeing it but haven't yet tried it. Do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, yes that picture :)
      I don't mind the Oatly, its very different from nut based dairy alternatives. I like its versatility as I've only seen it used so far for sweet dishes, mine of course is savoury - so i am pleased. Hope you get to try it. it retails around £1 i got mine from Holland and Barret in the town where i work.

      Delete
  8. Ahhhhh that picture of baby mushrooms is pretty creepy haha
    This sounds good! I LOVE mushrooms. I am not sure I have ever had pickled mushrooms - I'm curious. The watercress is a pretty contrast to the brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree it is a little creepy.
      If you get to try pickled mushroom do so, i think they would be goos as part of antipasti too.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You