Wednesday, 11 January 2017

Meera Sodha's Cauliflower Korma

For a person of South Asian heritage who is not that bad in the kitchen, I still have quite a few South Asian Indian cookbooks on my shelf as cuisine from the Indian sub continent is wide, vast and diverse, just like its people.  

Most of the Indian cookbooks I have come from Madhur Jaffrey, Reza Mahammad, but I also have some by Dala Tarla and lesser known cooks in this part of the UK Viji Varadarajan.  I also have all the cookbooks by the beautiful Vicki Bhogul who has just made a comeback with the republication of Cooking Like Mummiji.  A couple of years back I was super excited by the publication of Prashad cookbook. However I only have a handful of Gujrati Indian Vegetarian Cookbooks.  The one I flick through quite often is Hansa's Indian Vegetarian Cookbook (2001) by Hansa Daghi who combines her Gujarit home cooking with touches of her East African upbringing.  

However, its my newest cookbook that I want to put in the spotlight.  My husband got me Fresh India: Quick, easy and Delicious Vegetarian Recipes For Every Day by Meera Sodha for Christmas.   This Cauliflower Korma with Blackened Raisins (Gobhi Korma) was the first recipe that I bookmarked from the cookbook.  
I have to say Meera Sodha's Cauliflower Korma as you may know it, its very different. There is no coconut or coconut milk in the recipe , but there are nuts not what we often see cashew nuts but ground almonds that act as both thickener and give it that rich creaminess.   It made for a change and I like change.
In her cookbook Meera Sodha blackens the raisins, I did not have the heart to do this to the golden raisins I had as I loved the rich amber colour and just stirred them in towards the end.  Its a very mild curry.  I think my mother in law would like it. 
If you want the recipe, I am afraid you will have to get the cookbook Fresh India by Meera Sodha, but here are some other vegetarian Korma recipes for you to try at home.
Chickpea aka Chana Korma from Lisa at We Don't Eat Anything With A Face
Sanjeev Kapoors Navratan Korma
Cashew Vegetable Korma by Isa Chandra
Coconut Milk Korma Soup

Here is an article in The Guardian on how to make the perfect Korma Curry - I just want to forewarn you though its a chicken korma, but I think the article is interesting enough.

8 comments:

  1. I think one of two meals I've cooked that my other half didn't like was a cauliflower curry dish, and I've never quite worked up to making another version since. I like the idea of using ground almonds though - I'd always naturally lean towards coconut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, maybe your partner just does not like cauliflower?! I still have reservations about it and only LOVE it as 'Cauli Buffalo Wings'.

      Delete
  2. What a great variation on traditional korma. I really like the idea of ground almonds instead of coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was indeed very different to what I have seen, but i am no expert having only ever had Korma twice in my life and neither were authentic in any way.

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious. Now I wonder what kind of flavor blackened raisins would give to this dish? crunchy caramel maybe? would be worth trying a few to see If we likely them. Will follow the links gratefully. Thank you Shaheen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was different Brenda.
      I don't know what the flavour of the blackened raisins would have been like, maybe i need to try it some day to know. Crunchy caramel sounds intriguing.

      Delete
  4. Believe it or not, I have been searching for a korma recipe! I found some bottled korma at Aldi and added veg, rice and raisins and it was a lovely meatless dinner for two nights. I will try one of these . Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e. This version is very different from those you find at 'Indian take-aways' so I do hope you approve and enjoy one of the other links that I have shared, they are all very different to the version i made at home.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You