Tuesday, 3 January 2017

Creamy Avocado Soup with Tortilla Cheese Topping

Although I have tinkered with the recipe a little bit, here is another vegetarian recipe scratched off the bookmarked list.  I've had this Creamy Avocado Soup recipe bookmarked for a vey long time, in fact ever since I got Celia Browns cookbook Entertaining Vegetarians in 2004.  

Avocado in soup may sound a bit strange, perhaps not to those of you who have been tucking into trendy smoothies made with the Avocados - anyway think Mexican guacamole flavours!  This is not a steaming bowl of soup and nor is it a cold soup, its warm, barely warm in fact as it is flashed under the grill for the cheese to melt and then served up immediately.   No waiting around.  
I have actually made this Creamy Avocado Soup twice in last two weeks.  Once with soured cream and the second time with coconut cream left over from Christmas and Boxing Day cocktails and mocktail Pina Coladas - oh no I've said too much.   D declared the Creamy Avocado Soup as delicious.  Its a blanket of green velvet lushness.  I wasn't sure if I would like this luke warm Creamy Avocado Soup, but I was pleasantly surprised.  Not only did I like it, I loved it. 
I wanted to serve it with some fancy blue maize tortilla chips, but D had a few days back opened a packet of Doritos that I found tucked away in the bread bin, so I used them.  I am sharing this with Creamy Avocado Soup with Tortilla Cheese Topping with Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen  Elizabeths's Kitchen for No Waste Food Challenge; as the tortillas were beginning to soften and crisped up within moments under the grill and No Croutons Required hosted by Tinned Tomatoes and Lisas Kitchen. 


Avocado Soup with Tortilla Cheese Topping

Vegan alternative offered*
Serves 2 - 4 depending on the size of your bowl and your appetite
Ingredients
2 avocados
Juice of 1 lime
100ml soured cream or *coconut cream (the creamy part from a can of coconut)
1 red onion, minced
1 tomato, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon jalapeno from a jar, mince
Salt and pepper to taste
100ml - 200ml hot vegetable stock
For the Tortilla cheese topping
50g corn tortilla chips,
50g cheddar cheese or *vegan alternative
1 tablespoon coriander, minced or 2 spring onions or chives, chopped
Method
Preheat the grille to the highest setting.
Scoop out the avocado flesh and mash it with the lime juice.  
Then stir in the soured cream or coconut cream, along with the onion tomato, garlic, jalapeno and seasoning. 
Carefully stir in the hot stock until well combined.
Distribute between 2 - 3 bowls and transfer these to a tray.
Scatter the tortilla chips along with the cheese.
Place under the grille until the cheese has melted.
Garnish with herbs.
Serve immediately
Adapted from Celia Brooks Entertaining Vegetarians
Other Avocado Soup Recipes
Colombian Creamy Avocado Soup aka Crema de Aguacate by Colombian Recipes
Cream of Jalapeno and Avocado Soup by Hell's Backbone Farm
Avocado Soup from Green Kitchen Stories 

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you e. Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  2. I am not very adventurous when it comes to avocados - just salads and guacamole. Baked them once but didn't like the flavour. The soup sounds intriguing, I'd be very curious to try it. It looks delicious. Happy new year, Shaheen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same too, but in the last two years a lot more exeriemental with it, i've also made Avocado Oreo vegan cheesecakehttp://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/ms-marmite-lovers-green-and-black.html
      so would recommend.
      Happy new Year to you too

      Delete
  3. wow that looks magnificent - I am not into creamy soups until you say coconut cream and then I want it - and it is so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor am I Johanna, but i somedays i am more willing to try things completely new to me and then i am glad i did. Do give it a go with coconut cream please

      Delete
  4. This avocado soup looks and sounds interesting.
    Happy New year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sadhna. Happy New Year to you too

      Delete
  5. Getting through some of my bookmarked recipes in on my New Year's Resolutions list this year ! Never thought of making soup with avocado but I love guacamole so I think I'd like it - oh no, that means it's another bookmarked recipe to add to my list ! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. so far I am doing quite well with the bookmarked recipes, i have even managed to cook two recipes from a cookbook I was given at Christmas. Your right, you cross off a recipe from the bookmarked list and then there is another...

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year! Very interesting recipe, I wouldn't say no to that. I also like that you're already so creative in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too.
      Most of the recipes that you will in the first two weeks of January will have been made last year, some are indeed creative - others just down to earth and homely. I am trying to go through my bookmaked list though.

      Delete
  7. I love avocado soups--so rich and creamy. This one looks amazing. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE mocktail pina coladas. Yum!
    I kind of thought the idea of avocado soup sounded strange, but it's not at all. It sounds rather lovely. Creamy, dreamy soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has not been getting the quantities quiet right, so they have been a bit hit and miss - i think the quality of pineapple juice has to be very good too. So we will continue until we get the recipe right.

      Yes the avocado in soup does sound really strange, but it really worked. I am looking forward to making more soups with avocado.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You