Sunday, 1 January 2017

Savoury Chestnut, Rainbow Carrots and Lentil Cake

Happy New Year.  

I guess many of us will be glad to see the end of 2016 and try to welcome 2017 with optimism and hope.   I have had an interesting year, what more can I say - it could have been better, but it was not terrible either.  I am thankful.   As always and as I do every year, I want to say Thank you to my loyal readers.  I honestly do appreciate you for supporting and reading my 'not for profit' hobby blog and taking time to comment when you can.  

I made this Savoury Chestnut, Rainbow Carrot and Lentil Cake last week a few days after Christmas.  It would be perfect for the festive table, but it would also be fabulous on the table on New Years Eve or New Years Days Sunday Roast Dinner.
This Savoury Chestnut, Rainbow Carrot and Lentil Cake is inspired and adapted from one I saw in the Vegetarian Christmas magazine.  I cannot remember the last time I picked up a vegan or vegetarian magazine, but the recipes were far more interesting in presentation that I was tempted to pick up a copy.  Its essentially an upside down colourful nut roast.  I had intended to make this for Christmas Day as I had picked up some baby rainbow carrots from the market in Cardiff.  I had put them in the fridge to maintain some sort of freshness, they lasted well. 
A generous slice of this Savoury Chestnut, Rainbow Carrot and Lentil Cake would be perfect next to roast potatoes, sprouts and/or other greens.  And don't forget the gravy, its essential here.  

I've had a good good break, a quiet affair really with just D and me.  I will share more about my Christmas Day and what I got for Christmas.  Wow I truly cannot believe it is 2017 and wonder what the year will bring.  Anyway, lovely reader Happy New Year once again.  



We had too much of this Savoury Chestnut, Ranbow Carrot and Lentil Cake left over, that I ended up putting some in en croute with puff pastry for light lunch bites.  I have to admit, I did stick some cheese in the en croutes too, but that is optional. I am sharing these with Elizabeths's Kitchen for No Waste Food Challenge.

I am sharing this Savoury Chestnut, Rainbow Carrot and Lentil Cake with Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Searching For Spice; and Simply Seasonal hosted by Hijacked by Twins. 
The adapted version of BBC Good Food Vegetarian Christmas recipe will be posted soon

29 comments:

  1. Happy new year Shaheen, I hope 2017 brings you peace and happiness my friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is truly gorgeous - I think you have a great eye for food styling! Happy New Year Shaheen - look forward to more of your great recipes and photos next year - oops - this year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. I try, but its not always possible as D ends up sometimes just sticking the dish on the window pane and flashing or taking it out in the garden to get a decent lighted picture.

      Delete
  3. That looks great and I love the rainbow carrots. Happy New Year Shaheen. I hope 2017 is a good one for you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqueline. Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  4. And thank you for keeping on posting - yours is one of a handful of blogs that I read on a regular basis (I'd love to read more, but time is something of a luxury now!) Let's hope 2017 brings more good than 2016. The rainbow cake looks lovely - a really nice Christmas centrepiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww your terribly kind Joey. Thank you. I regularly read yours too, i' don't read as many as I used to. Yes, raise our virtual glasses to a hopeful 2017.

      Delete
  5. I love your savoury cakes, especially as I so rarely make them. This is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely and what a great way to use those pretty rainbow carrots! I like the way you've made the leftovers into little parcels too. Happy new year and thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Corina. Yes, the little parcels went down really well.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amy. Happy New Year to you too.
      x

      Delete
  8. Love the look of this. We had heritage carrots on Christmas Day after I found some in a local farm shop. I couldn't resist! The chestnuts we picked in October got mixed in with the sprouts from the allotment and then all the leftovers got fried up as a hash on Boxing Day morning. Christmas leftovers are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Oh wow you got lucky with the heritage carrots, bet they were spectacular on the Christmas dinner plate. The chestnut sprout hash sounds yummy too.
      Happy New Year to you

      Delete
  9. Oh, this looks delicious!! :) Rainbow carrots look so beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margot. They are worth getting when you can.

      Delete
  10. Oh it's so pretty with the heirloom carrots. And way to be creative with the leftovers. I never think of anything clever to do with mine.
    Happy New Year Shaheen! I'm so glad we became blogging buddies last year =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kimmy. I knew you you would like this and yes, works wonderfully with the heirloom carrots.

      I too have to say, Thank you so much and I too am pleased we became blogging buddies. I am so happy at the way you as a vegan blogger have embraced me. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  11. Oooh yummy! I love chestnuts and this savoury cake sounds delicious! This recipe is perfect for my new linky if you would like to join in, it is called #SimplySeasonal and is all about seasonal veg x #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Kirsty. It was nice but we had so so much of it leftover, so i was glad to use it in other ways. I will come on over and check out #Simply Seasonal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing with #SimplySeasonal x

      Delete
  13. Great presentation - love the colours :) #SimplySeasonal

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a super way to use up extra nut loaf! It's such a pretty nut loaf too, I bet it tasted amazing! Thanks for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge - it's always great to have you on board. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, its one of my favourite food challenges i always have left over grub, but then you would be inundated with entries.
      Thanks as always for hosting.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You