Wednesday, 18 January 2017

Spiced Butternut Squash and Golden Raisin Chutney

This Mildly Spiced Butternut Squash and Golden Raisin Chutney was scrummy.

I don't really like sweet relishes or chutneys , but this one was very reminisce of the Red Chili Spiced Pumpkin Chutney I made a long while back and I loved it.   
I made this Spiced Butternut Squash and Golden Raisin Chutney over the weekend as I had picked up two squashes at a bargain price, after filling the sterilised jars I had a little left over - they call it cooks treat or cooks perks, but it was plenty for me to share with D.  We had it in the evening with cheddar cheese crackers that we had left over from Christmas and New Year.

Taking of  crackers, someone at a works bring and share food day bought in some homemade Iced Custard Square Slices, what some of you may call Iced Vanilla Custard Slices.  I've been wanting a recipe for this for a long while as its one of my Dads favourite sweet treats.  He has a thing for cold set custard, as his other favourite Sweet treat is Custard Nutmeg in Shortcrust Pastry Tarts.  I had a slither of one of these Ice Custard Square Slices and noted the pastry base was actually made from Jacobs Crackers, not puff pastry.  I was both amazed and bemused.  I do prefer proper pastry, but some people would not notice the difference.  I asked for the recipe from the person who made it and she laughed as she wrote it down for me.  Telling me it was one of the world's easiest and economical recipes.  I hope to make it soon for my father and see what he thinks.  
Anyway, back to this Spiced Butternut Squash and Golden Raisins Chutney, I also adored the colours so much: like golden embers from a log fire not only warming your cheeks but your belly too.  I am sharing this with #CookBlogShare hosted by Easy Peasy Foodie.
Other Chutney Recieps You may like
A Seasonal Veg Tables Spiced Apple Chutney
A Seasonal Veg Tables Fiery Scotch Bonnet Apple Chutney
Green Gourmet Giraffe - Tomato Kitchen Sink Chutney
Little Black Fox 's Carrot and Chilli Chutney
Little Black Fox's Mango Chutney




Spiced Butternut Squash, Carrot and Golden Raisin Chutney
Makes 8  x 250ml jars
Ingredients
800g butternut squash, peeled and sliced into very small cubes
2 cooking apples, peeled and chopped
4 carrots, peeled ad diced
2 onions, peeled and sliced
180g golden raisins
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 red chillies, sliced with seeds
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
700ml apple cider vinegar
500g sugar
Method
Place all the ingredients in a wide pan, except for the sugar.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the mixture begins to soften.
Add the sugar until it has dissolved
Allow to simmer for 45 minutes of until the mixture is thick.
Spoon into sterilised jars and seal.
Adapted from a supermarket magazine, find the original recipe here,  

10 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds delicious! So many of the things I love in a chutney which I also love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good chutney - it's one of the few things that I reckon homemade versions of taste as good as supermarket ones, and are far cheaper to boot! There's something really comforting about having a good couple of jars in the cupboard for when you need to make a good sarnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey, this is def. tasty than supermarket ones I've eaten and to be honest, i don't get from supermarket and try those from farmers markets by indie vendors, but some are hit and miss. I will have to use my chutney a lot more in sarnies though, even panini - imagine...

      Delete
  3. This looks and sounds so lovely! Thanks for linking up with #CookBlogShare! Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh Shaheen, this sounds delicious! I have not thought of using squash in a chutney but imagine it is really tasty! Perfect for cheese and biscuits x #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsty, it really does work and so does pumpkin - try it one day.

      Delete
  5. Interesting! I would have never thought of using butternut squash in a chutney - I like it. The fresh ginger isn't something I would think of in chutney either, but I really love fresh ginger. This sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you KImmy, honestly if you lived in the UK I would have been more than happy to post you one, but you will have to try and make some at home one ay :)

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You