Tuesday, 10 January 2017

Cauliflower Cheese Gratin with Black Olives

I know it don't look much, but this Cauliflower Cheese Gratin with Black Olives made for an interesting change.  
The onions were soft and caramelised, the cauliflower was blistered gold here and there as if it were sprayed lustre gold and then studded with black pearls of sliced black olives.  It was surprisingly quite good and this is a compliment from someone who still snugs her nose at cauliflower dishes.   I must say though, this is not a creamy gratin.  The cream clings onto the cauliflower florets or  sinks into the gaps.
I served the gratin with some crusty crisp bread, but you could happily have it with sauteed new potatoes if you wish. 


Cauliflower Cheese Gratin with Black Olives
Serves 4
Ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large cauliflower, cored and broken into bite size florets
1 onion, sliced

50g butter
50g flour
350ml milk
100g cheddar grated plus 20g extra for breadcrumbs
30g panko crumbs
1 teaspoon parsley, minced
2 tablespoons black olives, sliced
Method
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200oc.
In a 12 inch gratin dish, coat the sliced onions and cauliflower with the oil.
Place in oven and cook for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

To make the sauce, melt the butter in a pan then stir in the flour.  
Stir on low heat, then stir in the milk, bring to the boil, stirring all the time to thicken. 
Stir in the cheese, parsley and black olives.
Season to taste.
Set aside

Then pour over the sauce over the caramelised onions and cauliflower.
Scatter over the panko crumbs.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden
Serve straight away.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...I'll be trying this once I buy another head of cauliflower...Sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do hope it meets with your approval e. Its not a creamy gratin.

      Delete
  2. I love cauliflower gratin and the olive version sounds delicious - I would thicken up the sauce a little as I love it to coat the cauli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been eating lots of gratin style dishes recently Johanna as well as lasagne, homemade of course. I think its the cheesiness that is appealing in the cold snaps we are having, very different to weather that you are enjoying! Yes, I agree the sauce could def. be thicker, but this did make for an interesting change.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You