Friday, 13 January 2017

Eritrean Injera Burrito and Berbere Tajine

The Sweet Potato recipes are still coming.  I told you I run with an ingredient.

Actually I made this Berbere Sweet Potato Tagine a little while back.
This is a Ethiopian Eritrean inspired Tagine is filled to the brim with reddish, yellow, green vegetables  and chickpeas then cooked slowly, really slowly.  You can see the sweet potato, the butternut squash, the carrot and nutty chickpeas, but the faded  shredded cabbage is hard to see, but you will detect it when you start eating.
This Berbere Tagine is adapted from my Moroccan Tagine with Spiced Seed Confetti.  I changed some of the vegetables and the spices for Berbere spice blend.  I had made so much of this dish, that we had it over 3 days, twice with rice and once wrapped up in Injera - yes I made a Injera Burrito.

Curry sauce and chips, Saag Aloo in pies and Korean Kimchi Toasties -  fusion food is the rage, so I thought I'd try and be original and make an Eritrean Burrito with injera and the filling from the Berbere Tagine.  It worked fine, the only issue was handling the injera burrito by hand. The sensation of rolled up injera in my hands was interesting.  I think those of you who have had injera will concur as the texture of injera is somewhat unusual.  Unfortunately due to poor lighting in the evening, I never got round to taking a photograph of it, but it shouldn't be difficult for you to imagine what it looks like.  
I was quite pleased with myself and thought I had created something new with my Eritrean Injera Burrito.  I couldn't wait to tell my Eritrean acquaintances at work this, he smiled at me through his perfect white teeth choosing not to comment.  I don't know if this was out of politeness or bemused that someone messing with their cuisine. I wanted to push him for his honest opinion, but never got the chance - but I will see him again.  I do hope he approves, it made for an interesting meal. 


Vegan Eritrean Berbere Tagine
Serves 6-8
Ingredients
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 large white onion
1 small red onion
1-1½ Berbere tablespoon
2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes

1 tablespoon of tomato puree4 large sweet potatoes, cut into even sized cubes
½ butternut squash, peeled and cut into even sized cubes
About 4 carrots, thickly sliced
60g dried apricots, cut in half
20g raisins
1 x 400g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
A large bunch of coriander, finely chopped
Salt to taste
Method
Heat the oil in a wide pan. 
Add the onion and cook gently until the onions are softened and translucent. 
Stir in the Berbere, cook for a couple of minutes, before stirring in the tomatoes and tomato puree and cook for 15 minutes. 
Add the butternut squash, sweet potatoes and carrots. 
Continue to cook for 40 - 45 minutes until the vegetables tender. 
Add the apricots, raisins and chickpeas and stir to combine. 
Simmer until sauce is thick, stir in coriander and season to taste.

I am sharing this with MLLA My Legume Love Affair that was started by The Well Seasoned Cook and now run by Lisa's Kitchen.  this month is is hosted by The Big Sweet Tooth Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition; and Farmersgirl Kitchen and Baking Queen Slow Cooked Challenge; Slow cooked Challenge


Le Coin de Mel

14 comments:

  1. This looks incredibly delicious Shaheen! The color of your dish is so pretty too! I didn't see the recipe on this page - not sure if you meant to put one up. If so I thought I'd let you know since I've done that a few times myself. :)

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ellen. I haven't posted the recipe as its adapted from an old one to which i have linked to, but i think I should - so will - thank you.

      Delete
  2. Nice and an innovative recipe with Sweet Potato

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! Nothing wrong with experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a far more authentic tagine dish than the one I just posted :D It looks delicious too and I love sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. I think chefs take liberties with messing with authentic recipes and traditional foods, so food bloggers and food writers have all followed, I do something think authenticity is lacking in blogosphere as every recipe is built upon another and just adapted with different vegetables or fruit, its hard these days to find something unique and authentic, so i guess we should not beat ourselves up too much. Coming on over to check our your version.

      Delete
  5. Authentic or not, it looks good to me! I think you should take in a burrito for your coworker to try - I'm pretty sure whatever their reservations they'd change their minds when they tried it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joey. I think he will approve, he is just very polite, so sometimes i have to be a little pushy - in a nice way - i think your right he will approve.

      Delete
  6. I love the sound of this and I love injera! You need to post that recipe too for those who've never had it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki, so pleased you like. I have posted the recipe for those who wish to try it in their own homes

      Delete
  7. I haven't tried a Berbere spice mix but I will have to seek one out as your tagine looks delicious. I think your Eritrean burrito is a brilliant example of fusion foods, your colleague clearly isn't up with the times! Thanks for a great entry into the Slow Cooked Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy, yes I think I may have to agree with you. Also I have linked a recipe to a Berbere Spice mix blend if you want to try - it is quite hot, so be warned.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You