Friday, 6 January 2017

Dandelion Honey Mustard Glazed Turnips and Other Vegetables

This is another dish I made early last month when I picked up some local seasonal vegetables from a farmers market, one of which was turnips.  I did not just want to chop and boil the turnip chunks and serve it as a side dish. I wanted to do more with it.  It was then I remembered I had bookmarked a recipe from Sarah Beattie's Neither Fish Nor Fowl, I looked up the recipe and was inspired by it, but instead of honey which is used in the original recipe,  I decided to make the mustard glaze with Dandelion 'honey'.  

Some of you may remember that a generous work colleague had given me some jars of her homemade Dandelion Honey which accidentally happened to be suitable for vegans. 
The dandelion honey was not the only change I made.  I wanted to make more of a meal of the turnip, so I stirred in some sliced new potatoes and cooked shredded cabbage.  It was delicious. The sweetness of the dandelion honey mustard glaze mellowed that strong distinct turnip taste.  
I have made lots of recipes from Sarah Beattie and written about her on my blog before - please see here.  I love her recipes and its hard for me to choose one, so I choose one that is quite season right now - the parsnip and here is a link to her vegan Tamarind Parsnip Curry that I made and she was kind to grant me permission to share the recipe on my blog with you all, but I recommend the . 

I am sharing this with Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition.



Dandelion Mustard Glazed Turnips and other vegetables
Inspired and adapted by Neither Fish Nor Fowl by Sarah Beattie
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 medium turnips, peeled and sliced into quarters or wedges, depending on size if large. Parboiled, drained and set aside
400g new potatoes, parboiled, drained and set aside
2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
2 tablespoons Dandelion 'honey', agave or maple syrup or bees honey
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
Optional: 1/2 head savoy cabbage, shredded and steamed until soft, drain and set aside
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 6/200oc
Coat a large baking tray with the oil. 
In a large bowl, whisk together the mustard and honey or sweetener and season to taste, then carefully with a spatula stir in the vegetables.
Transfer to the baking tray and bake for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring halfway through the process.

In the last 5 minutes, stir in the optional shredded cabbage, return to the oven for the last 5 minutes to warm through. 
Serve immediately.  

4 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this and how it could easily incorporate other vegetables too. I rarely cook turnips and am often unsure of how to use them, other than in soups or stews, so this is a useful side dish option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to be more experimental with turnips too, but truth is we don't eat them that often and then only in season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't make turnips enough even though I really like them. These look so delicious! I have never heard of Dandelion honey before so I'll be on the lookout for that for now I'll sub in maple syrup. The addition of mustard sounds perfect (I'm on a mustard kick lately).

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mary Ellen. The dandelion honey was gifted to me, a friend made it at home last year and gave me three jars. Yes, maple syrup or agave would work well too. I do like mustard and need to use it more in dishes like this.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You