Thursday, 19 January 2017

Butternut Squash, Nutmeg, Raisin and Hazelnut Muffins

I had forgotten to pick up some rolled oats during our weekly shop to the supermarket.  It was on my shopping list but I managed to overlook it.  You know why?!  My husband has a tendency to squeeze in 'tiger nuts' on the shopping list - I have a rather knackered worn out tiger hot water bottle and he teases me that Ii should get it some tiger nuts which are real, so I am blaming him for my distraction and missing it on the shopping list.

So instead of making breakfast flapjacks for the working week I ended up making some Butternut Squash, Raisin and Nutmeg muffin.



It's adapted from this recipe, but I did not read the recipe properly as I noted after the muffin batter had gone into the oven, that I had missed the oil, but it did not matter as the grated butternut squash added plenty of moisture to the muffins.
Butternut Squash, Nutmeg Raisin and Hazelnut 
Makes 6 large muffins
Ingredients
200g butternut squash, grated
175g sugar
2 eggs
pinch of salt
150g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
25g golden raisins
25g hazelnuts, chopped
Method
Preehat oven to gas mark 4/180oc
In a large bowl stir int he butternut squash, sugar and stir then stir in the eggs.
Sift in the plain flour, along with thesalt,  nutmeg and baking powdder
Stir to combine.
Then stir in the raisins and chopped nuts.
Spoon evenly into 6 muffin holes.
Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like this would also make a good loaf, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e, bu tmy experience of muffin recipes for bread have been a fail, does not always work. But I could def. see it in Irish soda bread.

      Delete
  2. sounds lovely for breakfasts - and probably would be good with some oats if you don't get distracted next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so right, I will give it a go in flapjacks - i have made flapjacks with carrots and beetroot, so why not :)

      Delete
  3. I adore the sound of these! What a great breakfast and a new concept to me to make muffins with squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a good muffin , i call them the cupcakes uglier sister, but tasty. I hope you make a vegan version Kari - there is a PPK carrot muffin recipe that i guess could easily be adapted with butternut squash - a thought :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great breakfast! Way to forget the oats and be creative =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really did make a nice change.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You