Sunday, 29 January 2017

Gnocchi in Red Pepper and Blue Cheese Sauce

We have been eating lots of pasta based dishes from lasagne's to cheesy bakes, a bit like this Gnocchi in Red Pepper and Blue Cheese Sauce. 
I made this when I had barely any vegetables in the house and lots of cheese in the fridge from Christmas and New Year binge eating.  this is a relatively easy recipe, especially if you use roasted red peppers from a jar and ready made gnocchi, then lunch or dinner will be on the table in no time.  The sauce is whizzed in a food processor and then its just about cooking the gnocchi and bringing the two components together.

This photograph does not do this Gnocchi in Red Pepper and Blue Cheese Sauce Bake justice, it really was quite delicious; and this comes from someone who is not a huge fan of blue cheese.
D loved this and went back for seconds, in fact he finished off what was left in the pot.  He loved the Red Pepper Blue cheese sauce and I loved how the the pillowy potato dumplings became crisp under the grill.


I had bookmarked the original recipe from Delicious Magazine, but of course I adapted it for a few reasons.  First it is made with Parmesan which I omitted as it is not suitable for vegetarians and secondly if it was, I would still never use it - it smells like baby sick to me.  I also replaced the mascarpone with soured cream as that is what I had in my fridge, I rarely have mascarpone in my fridge, unless of course I have made a point of making a recipe with it. 

Red Pepper, Blue Cheese Gnocchi Bake
Serves 3 - 4
Ingredients
250g roasted red pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons soured cream
1 red chilli, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
80g blue cheese, crumbled

500g gnocchi, cooked according to packet instructions and then drained ans set aside
25g pine nuts
Method
Preheat the grill to medium to high.
In a food processor, whizz together the roasted red pepper, garlic, soured cream, minced chilli, olive oil and half of the blue cheese.  Season to taste. 

Pour the sauce into an ovenproof dish and then stir in the gnocchi.
Sprinkle over the remaining blue cheese and pine nuts, then place under grill until the cheese melts.
Serve with a green salad.
Adapted from Delicious Magazine

4 comments:

  1. I love a good gnocchi and blue cheese is irresistible. Sounds like a lovely meal. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, it was lovely we had it twice!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen or had a gnocchi dish featuring grill / oven based cooking, although that may be my own ignorance. Thanks for the idea though - I like the concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh Kari, it makes it nice and crisp. a bit like in a frying pan in a little oil and made golden - worth trying if you like a little crunch.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You