Thursday, 10 March 2016

Very Red Pepper and Kidney Bean Casserole with Vegan Sausages

It must have been a subliminal message of sorts that got me hankering for a Veggie Sausage Casserole.  For days I went onto D 'I need to pick u some veggie sausages...'  yet always seemed to forget and then I repeated myself all over again 'I have to pick up some veggie sausages', but yesterday - I remembered!  

And so here it is, a rich thyme and smoked paprika infused tomato sauce based casserole with kidney beans and Romano red peppers.  It turned out very red indeed.
You can choose to use any vegetarian or vegan sausage you like, I am not loyal to any particular brand and like to try them all.  If your not a veggie, of course you can opt the real meat variety.  The smokiness from the paprika was just right, not overwhelming at all.   I served this very red vegan casserole with some crushed roasted new potatoes.  It was grand I tell you and well worth the wait.
So some of you may wondering why do I showcase a leek here?!  Well I was going to call this Welsh Leek Sausage Casserole, but the leeks do get lost in this very red dish - so I didn't bother.  I am sharing this with MLLA #93 and hosted this mont by myself. If you want to join in follow this link. 



Red Pepper and Kidney Bean Casserole
Serves 3 - 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoons oil
1 large leek, washed and sliced
2 celery sticks, peeled and sliced
2 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon dried thyme
600g  crushed tinned tomatoes
400g canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
125ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Fresh thyme to garnish 
Packet of 6 - 8 sausages of your choice - cooked according to packet instructionsMethod
heat the oil, add the leek and celery and cook until it begins to soften, then stir in the garlic and saute for a few minuted, before stirring in the spices.
After a few minutes, stir in the tomatoes and allow to cook down for a few minutes for the tomatoes to fall apart.
Stir in the beans and the stock, bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer for the beans to cook through.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, then finally stir in the cooked sausages to warm through and scatter over the fresh thyme if using.
Turn off heat and serve. Adapted from here.


6 comments:

  1. sounds lovely - if only we could have got together - we have sausages in our kitchen but nothing else for this casserole (btw - I am just finding an address to reply to your email)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. x
      Got your e mail. Thanks - something winging its way to you by the end of next week.

      Delete
  2. That looks super...and I have some kidney beans I need to cook...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired me to give it a go but I think I'll tone down the paprika and tomatoes just a little. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie, of course make it your own - I always up ingredients to make it my own. Happy cooking, nice to make your acquaintance.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You