Tuesday, 29 March 2016

Vegan Friendly Giant 'Jaffa' Cake

How Golden Am I?  Have you noted the last four recipes have been made with gold coloured vegetables and also happen to be accidentally vegan too.

Well here is another - my Giant 'Jaffa' Cake.  


I was inspired to make this by the groovy chics at Kind Cakes, Mean Bakes in Bristol.  They make  awesome biscuit shaped Jaffa Orange and Raspberry Fakes.  
I thought I would give Jaffa Cake a go too, but in the form of one big cake that could be sliced and shared.  I decided to enhance and adapt my own vegan Chocolate Orange Cake.

To demonstrate how large this cake it, hence the deliberate use of the descriptive giant in the title of the blog, look at my hands on the side. This is a whopper of a cake measuring 36cm, just over 14 inches.  I made in my new PushPan, I have to admit I did struggle pushing the pan out of the tin, but it came out with a bit of patience, good job I am not doing a honest review on it as it was gifted to me by a family member for a Birthday a year or so back.  
Its a vegan cake made for friendly giants, or family and friends who are always ready to receive their generous slice.

I used homemade Marmalade.  The marmalade was not made by my own dark hands but by a friends friend 'manly' hands.  I will need to put in a order for some more as D likes the bitter tartness of stuff especially spread on toast.   
This cake does not taste exactly like a Jaffa cake as the brand is more jellified, but is a good imitation of it in cake form of course.  I have just one thing to add if you choose to make this cake.  *Unlike myself, please do be patient with the melted chocolate and let the glossy melted chocolate cool down before you go pouring it over the marmalade.  I was a bit gutted, my impatience, so the marmalade ran under the warmth of the chocolate, hence the loss of jelly marmalade for visual impact, regardless of my impatience this was a really good cake and one that I will be making again.  

Vegan 'Jaffa' Cake Cake
You will need 36cm round cake tin 

OR 2 x  10 inch round spring form cake tin for this cake
Serves a crowd

500g plain flour
11/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
180g golden caster sugar
400ml dairy free milk
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
200ml vegetable oil
Zest of one orange

Optional: 1 teaspoon orange blossom flower water

Large jar of fine cute marmalade
Method
Sieve the dry ingredients first over a large bowl, then stir in the sugar. 

In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients and the grated zest, then carefully pour into the dry ingredients and combine well. Then pour into baking tin.  
Bake at gas mark 4/180oC for 45 - 50 minutes of until a toothpick comes out clean. 

Cool.  
Spoon over the marmalade, at least two inches away from the edges.  Some of it will slide.
Transfer to a fridge whilst you make the chocolate topping.
For the chocolate (See note above*)
200g dark chocolate
100g non-dairy margarine
Method
In a bain marie, melt the chocolate and butter.
Then allow to cool down, before pouring it evenly over the cake sponge.
Transfer to fridge and allow to set.
Best served the following day and eaten within 3 - 4 days.
Adapted from my vegan Chocolate Orange Cake.
I am sharing these 'Jaffa' Cake with Alphabakes hosted by Caroline Makes and The More Than The Occasional Baker.  The letter is C and this 'Jaffa' cake is coated heavily in chocolate; CookBlogShare hosted by Hijacked By Twins; and Casa Costello and Maison Cupcake for Bake of the Week:  Recipe of the Week; Tasty Tuesdays. and finally Kimmy at Rock My Vegan Socks for Healthy Vegan Fridays.

28 comments:

  1. looks superb and that is amazing how big it is - have never heard of a push pan - it is silicone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pushpan is just a fancy word for those pans that you have to push up from the bottom, what makes this dif. is that there is silicon on the ends of the base. I wasn't overly impressed with them though and I picked up two because I thought they would be good, but I am not sold.

      Delete
  2. Now that's what I call a giant cake, Shaheen!!! I have never actually had a bite of Jaffa Cake before Shaheen but, I must say, it sure sounds delectable. Only lately am I getting comfortable with the falvors of orange and chocolate combined. I sure wish I could taste this cake to see if I'm all in, lol...

    Thanks for sharing, Shaheen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so is :) Jaffa cakes are from my childhood days so it evokes memories of good times.

      Delete
  3. Blimey.... that's huge! It looks gorgeous though..... lovely fluffy sponge and the flavours of Jaffa Cake are always perfect with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, epic and love that your recipes have been accidentally vegan, will send this to vegan mates (although of course good for all). Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi it was indeed tasty

      Delete
  6. I love this idea!!! I may well have to make this for the next Cake liberation Front meet up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do and if so, please let me know. PS I am making your Orange Pecan Teabread as I had some marmalade left in the jar! Just pulled it out of the oven, will share later in the week.

      Delete
  7. Love this cake with orange marmalade, I have a weakness towards orange marmalade. I made orange olive oil cake earlier. Need to try this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange Olive cake sound delightful.

      Delete
  8. What a great idea! I do miss Jaffa cakes, but now I'll just make your version, thanks 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic looking cake! Definitely going to try this. Love that the ingredients list isn't too scary too. #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandy. I agree the ingredients are easily accessible.

      Delete
  11. Love the giant cake and you can't really go wrong with chocolate and orange. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope to join in again

      Delete
  12. I love the chocolate orange combination. It has to be my favourite chocolate duo. This cake not only looks delicious but sounds so good! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsty. The combo is a classic indeed.

      Delete
  13. I have never had Jaffa cake, so I have no frame of comparison - I imagine it would taste divine either way ;)
    Thanks so much for sharing this ginormously awesome cake at Healthy Vegan Fridays - it's being featured this week. I'm pinning & sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kimmy, I am kicking myself a little as I wish I had stuck a real Jaffa cake next to my creation to show the contrast in size, maybe next time as am hoping to make it again. Thank you so much for featuring, I will come by and hope to share again.

      Delete
  14. This cake sounds so yummy! I don't think I've ever had a Jaffa cake, but we do have Jaffa lollies here, they were one of my childhood favourites. I love the combination of chocolate and orange <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kyra, Jaffa lollies sound amazing. I think you would like this cake too

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You