Thursday, 17 March 2016

Supernatural Green Quiche with Spirulina Shortcrust

Nothing supernatural about this quiche, its really just a Broccoli Quiche on a green pastry base. 
The shortcrust pasty is naturally dyed green with the addition of spirulina powder to the dough; and the eggy filling.  Well I steamed some broccoli and blitzed half of it with the milk, then poured it into a bowl and whisked it with the eggs and poured it over the pastry case that had been lined with the remaining broccoli heads and doused with some Welsh cheddar cheese. 
At one point during the cooking process, I actually panicked and thought the quiche was not going to set but fortunately it did.  This Broccoli quiche was packed with lots of flavours.  Even the spirulina powder in the shortcrust pastry imparted its sea earth flavours.  Its just a shame the photograph here doesn't pick up the green in pastry, though I must admit it is a little scorched here and there.  I am sharing this recipe with 'Eat Your Greens' which I am hosting this month and my new Co-Host The Veg Hog;  and Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Searching for Spice. . 

Broccoli Quiche with Spirulina Shortcrust Pastry
Makes 1 large Quiche
For the Spirulina Shortcrust Pastry
Follow a shortcrust pastry recipe that you use and add 1 teaspoon spirulina powder to it.  
Roll out the 
shortcrust pastry and line a 9 inch round tin and blind bake
For the Broccoli Green filling
1 medium broccoli head, florets removed from stalks and steamed and set aside to cool

100ml milk
3 eggs

75g cheddar cheese, grated or feta cheese, cubed
Salt and pepper to taste
In a blender, put in half of the broccoli heads and 100ml milk and blitz to a puree.
Pour into a bowl, then whisk in the eggs and season to taste.

In the blind baked shortcrust pastry case, scatter over the remaining broccoli florets and then scatter over the cheddar cheese.
Evenly pour over the broccoli mixture.
Transfer to an oven.
Bake gas mark 4/180oc for 40 - 45 minutes for larger quiche or until golden. 

Allow to cool, before removing from tins and serving. 
Good warm or at room temperature. 


  1. What a wonderful and surely tasty recipe, I just love the green crust!

  2. Hi Shaheen:)
    I LOVE everything about this recipe, Shaheen. I haven't tried spirulina yet but I hear so many wonderful things about it, I'm just going to have to buy it and try it!

    I do see a tinge of green in the pastry. Does the spirulina do that? How cool!

    I bet this quiche is delicious Shaheen. It's loaded with goodness and that touch of green:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    1. Thank you Louise. Spirulina is an acquired taste, apparently its good for your health and has lots of benefits. Yes the green in the pastry is from the spirulina.

    2. I'm going to try it, Shaheen, thanks:)

  3. Wow! I've never seen pastry that colour before. It's truly stunning! I'd never have thought of adding spirulina to pastry. Ingenious! x

    1. Thank you Sharon. It does impart its flavour into the pastry.

  4. What a lovely quiche! I really like the sound of the pastry too. I haven't tried spirulina but I know it's meant to be very healthy. THank you for linking this one up with #CookOnceEatTwice as well!

    1. Thank you Corina. Sprirulna is healthy and good for you, not so sure I've done it much justice in this recipe with eggs though, but it did add that intriguing colour.

  5. Oooh this looks lovely! I love adding superfoods into our dishes and this ia a great way to incorporate spirulina x #CookOnceEatTwice


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You