Thursday, 3 March 2016

Welsh Rarebit Laverbread Scones

The Welsh Laverbread Diaries continue...

These Welsh Rarebit Laverbread Scones were with a capital A - Amazing.  D scoffed down two and would have easily gone for a third had I not given him the beady eye.  
The mustard seeds give it pop and warmth, the Welsh laverbread a little colour and saltiness. and of course the cheddar cheese metled on top gives it that golden Blonde hue, gorgeous just on the cusp of almost burnt, but not quite.  To give the scones additional oomf, I've used both self raising flour and baking powder, but you can just leave out the baking powder if you wish.  Most of my recipes are easy to veganize, and this one is no different, just make a vegan savoury scone, then add vegan alternative non dairy milk and cheese.
As I said earlier, D loved these.  We had finished of the remaining  scones in the following coming day, but gave them about 30 second in the nuker (microwave)  for a bit of warmth, but they are at their best on the day.

The lovely Louise from Months of Edible Celebrations wrote a fantastic insightful piece on Welsh Rarebit - Chasing the Rabbit  that may interest those of you  interested in the origins of the Rarebit.  Follow this link.   

And if your looking for more Welsh Laverbread inspiration, see the links below.
Welsh Laverbread Pies
Welsh Woman's Laverbread Caviar
Welsh Laverbread Suet Pudding with Mushrooms and Puy Lentils
Glorified Laverbread Cakes aka Welsh Welsh Vegetarian Burger with Caerphilly Cheese
Welsh cottage Pie with Laverbread Mash
Welsh
Laverbread, Samphire and Seaweed Quiche with Perl Las Cheese


Welsh Rarebit Laverbread Scones
Makes 8
Ingredients
225g self-raising flour
Optional: 1 teaspoon baking powder
50g butter
1 tablespoon laverbread plus optional extra for topping
100g cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg
100ml milk
11/2 teaspoon grainy mustard from a jar
Method
Preheat oven to 200oc.
In a bowl, rub the butter into the flour and baking powder if using.
Then stir in 1/2 of the cheese and 1 tablespoon laverbread.
In another bowl, mix the egg and the milk and mustard.
Then pour this onto the floury cheese and form a dough.
Roll out and cut into discs.
Brush the top with the optional laverbread, then scatter over the cheese.
Bake in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes.
Best eaten warm.

I am sharing this with Belleau Kitchen for Simply Eggcellent;  Food Year Link Up hosted by Charlotte's Kitchen for St David's Day; and  Sunday Fitness and Food Fitness hosted by Angela at Marathons and Motivation

16 comments:

  1. Hi Shaheen:)
    First, I must say, thank you so much for the shout out!!! How sweet of you:)

    Now, for those scones, holy yum, yum!!! I can definitely see me enjoying these scones as is! I don't think they would last very long in this house but, if they did last one more day, I would most certainly nuke them, lol...oooo la la, cheesy yum:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Shaheen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so welcome Louise, don't know if it will bring traffic, but I am thankful to you.
      So pleased you like these scones, I am hoping to make them again, D as you can see loved them.

      Delete
  2. Looks magnificent - I love quirky scones and these are lovely for a little bit of Welsh love - at least if I can't do any welsh cooking right now I can indulge in some Welsh culinary creativity vicariously here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Johanna. Welsh Love indeed :)

      Delete
  3. Well you can't get much more Welsh that rarebit and laverbread so there are just perfect for St David's Day. These sound lovely, I especially like the idea of adding the mustard on top for a little extra kick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte, the mustard on top is fab, really.

      Delete
  4. I have really enjoyed reading your Welsh recipes very much, but haven't had time to comment that much, so sorry about that. Sometimes it's really nice to put a vegetarian or vegan twist to traditional regional dishes. I have to cook something Finnish again soon... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you VegHog. No worries and no need to apologise about leaving comments, I come by your blog every time you post something, but don't comment on everything. I have more recipes to come, but will share them in due course - I was just making the most of St David's Day. Look forward to seeing some of your Finnish recipes.

      Delete
  5. I can see why D scoffed them down..... they look amazing. I LOVE a good cheese scone..... it's a serious weakness of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I am hoping to make more savoury scones!!!

      Delete
  6. I love the sound of these Shaheen, Lavabread is something I've never tried so I think I shall have to alter that state of affairs having read your post.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. Laverbread is pretty unique to Wales, you won't find it outside of UK, unless its imported by Welsh Deli's overseas. You can sub. it with other cooked seaweed if you wish - must say, it is an acquired taste - so a little goes a long way.

      Delete
  7. This sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing at the Sunday Fitness & Food Link-Up. I am fascinated by the Laverbread ingredient :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. My pleasure.

      Delete
  8. These scones sound absolutely fantastic! I actually want one right now! Lovely!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a clever idea to make them cheesy too...they look wonderful. Thanks so much for linking to Simply Eggcellent x

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You