Thursday, 24 March 2016

Turmeric Pasta with Blood Orange Chilli Vinaigrette Dressing

This marigold yellow pasta with marmalade coloured roasted peppers and butternut squash was lunch for work - twice, last week.  

As I was tucking in, it got some of my colleagues all intrigued and curious 'Gosh, that pasta is glowing'.
The pasta is simply infused with turmeric powder.  I've also tried this method with beetroot See HERE.   Although I have used ready made penne pasta here, you could easily make vegan Turmeric pasta from scratch too, just add a teaspoon or half to the flour when your mixing and kneading. 

Anyway, the turmeric pasta on its own was a bit bland, so I decided to make make a vinaigrette dressing for it with some Blood Oranges that were mingling with the lemons in a bowl.
The Blood Orange Chilli Oil was spicy and quite tasty elevated by the addition of my bottle of Welsh Blodyn Aur Rapeseed Chilli Oil.   Of course, you can make your own Chilli Oil at home and I probably would had I grown my own chillies, but sometimes when you have excellent produce on your front door why would you not want to make the most of it. 

The Turmeric Pasta with Roasted Squash and Peppers and Chilli Oil was blooming delicious and I'd happily make it again for lunch or evening meal. Probably best served with some salad greens, but that is optional. The only thing I was very disappointed in my supermarket bought Blood oranges.  Once sliced they were not as blood red inside as I had expected...oh well.

As a member of Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months to use in recipe development and blog original recipes for the Network. 

I am sharing this with Hearth and Soul Hop hosted by April J Harris; and Zesty South Indian Kitchen; and No Croutons Required co-hosted by Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen, and Tinned Tomatoes.

Turmeric Pasta with Blood Orange Chilli Oil
Serve 2 - 3
Ingredients
In a small bowl 
For the Blood Orange Chilli Oil
4 tablespoons Welsh Blodynn Aur Rapeseed Chilli Oil or equivalent
Zest from 1 orange, minced
Juice from 1/2 from Blood Orange 
1/2 blood orange, peeled and diced 
Salt to taste
Optional 1/4 - 1/2 chilli flakes
Method
In a bowl, whisk all the ingredients together until well combined.  

Set aside to pour over the pasta.

For the Turmeric Pasta

Cook 250g pasta of your choice according to packet instructions, when the water  begins to boil throw in the pasta and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and cook according to packet instructions.
Drain, transfer to a large bowl and set aside
For the roasted vegetables
1/2 butternut squash, peeled and diced into small bite size cubes
1 yellow pepper, cored and diced into cubes
Optional 1 carrot, peeled and grated
Optional: Handful of mixed salad leaves
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
In a bowl, add the squash and pepper and pour over 1 - 2 tablespoons oil and coat.
Then transfer to a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden and tender. Halfway through, give it a stir to turn over.
When cooked, removed from the oven and scatter over the pasta.
Then pour over the Blood Orange Chilli Oil and stir carefully. 

10 comments:

  1. Great idea with the turmeric! I usually throw some in when I am steaming rice, but never thought to add it to pasta water. Love colourful food so will give it a try. Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie Jane, I do it with rice often too, but this was an interesting change.

      Delete
  2. Glowing pasta is correct! This looks very pretty and sounds delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. It was good - you need the veg, the pasta on its own would be boring..even though the colour is fab

      Delete
  3. Saheen, those turmeric pasta with blood orange chilli sounds delicious, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul, pinning, tweeting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I love this recipe, such lovely ingredients, and such a good idea to make turmeric pasta :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracious! I love turmeric and this pasta dish is divine. Thanks for sharing with NCR.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You