Saturday, 19 April 2014

Vegan Mexican Tamale Pies

Since my culinary adventure came to an expected end, I did not completely turn away from the local food scene.  I have a food stall at selected food markets.  I have been keeping a foot in partly to stay focused and partly to earn a little income whilst hunting for full-time employment, but truth is I barely break even, still it keeps me distracted of sorts.  I am trying best to create original and different portable vegetarian and vegan dishes, as well as cakes that no-one else is selling at food markets.   

Well one of the original pies that I have recently introduced has been these individual Mexican Tamale Pies.  There are lots of Mexican Pies about encased in pastry, but not like this one.  I've been describing these as a Mexican version of a Sherpherds Pie - soy mincemeat base with beans and topped off with a creamy cornmeal topping.  And to make them more appealing to the eye, I have topped them off with a dried red chilli.  Unlike my other pastry pies, I do-not advise on eating these cold or even at room temperature, but to take home and re-heat in the oven (or microwave if you so wish). 

Today, these sold out.  They sold out last weekend too! 
One of my customers is from Mexico and she has given it the thumbs up, saying she is neither vegetarian or vegan for that, but these vegan Mexican Tamale Pies mimics the real thing she is used to back home real good.  A good compliment don't you think?! 

If you wish to see the filling, please follow this link where I have made this very same recipe in individual serving dishes 
I am sharing some of these individual Mexican Tamale Pies with Vanesther at Bangers and Mash who is hosting Mexican Month on the Spice Trail - Ariba Ariba!.


Vegan Mexican Tamale Pie
Serves  4 - 6 depending on the size of your pie dishes
Ingredients

for the pie filling
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium onions, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
50g – 75g jalapeno from a jar, minced

Pinch of chilli flakes
350g reconstituted organic  soy mince
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato puree
400g cooked borlotti beans

Salt and pepper to taste
for the polenta topping
200g quick cook polenta
800ml water
4 tablespoons fresh coriander
Method for the pie filling
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion and garlic until softened slightly. Add the jalapenos, chilli flakes, soy mince, tomatoes, tomato puree and beans, and cook on gentle heat for 20 minutes until thick. 
Season to taste and pour into pie dishes.
Allow to cool. 

For the polenta topping
Either cook polenta according to packet instructions Or
Boil the water, then slowly pour in the polenta whisking all the time, until it begins to thicken and splutter. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the coriander and salt to taste. Evenly pour over the pie filling and smooth. Allow to cool.

Reheat when ready to eat in the oven gas mark 4/1800c for 15 - 20 minutes, serve immediately. 

15 comments:

  1. They sound wonderful, it's great that you are building up your customer base but a pity about the other traders. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks You Joanne. Sadly its just the way it is, I found it v competitive when I had the cafe too - What the experience as done, has given me insight.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I think I would like those. Of course, since I am not a vegan I would probably like them even better if made with meat! How nice that your Mexican customer gave you that nice compliment. Talking of Mexican food, maybe you should grow some Tomatillos in your new gaden and made some authentic salsa? Tomatillos are hard to get in the UK, and are much sought-after by Mexican people living here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your allowed to make it with meat Mark.
      I grew tomatillos once, in my first year of growing when I lived in Scotland, they were pretty hard. I am so disorganised this year, that it may be nx year when I plan to grow some, this year if we grown anything would be a bonus - the greenhouse is being attacked by slugs!

      Delete
  3. Wow :) These look amazing; one to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would stop by your stall - and I think it is great you can share some of your cooking in this way

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look and sound so good, I can see why they have been selling out. They make a perfect entry for this month's Spice Trail challenge too - thanks for sharing them. And best of luck with the stall, and I hope those other traders ease off soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanesther. I really just want a ft job, its can b in catering or in my qualified field, then I can focus proper - but for now i will make the most of what I have.

      Delete
    2. Hi Shaheen! Your gorgeous pies have you won the runner-up prize in the Mexican challenge over at The Spice Trail! Could you email me your address and I'll get the guys at Gran Luchito to send out your prize asap?

      Delete
    3. Wow, thank you delighted to be runner up. E mailing you right away. Thank you for being a fab host.

      Delete
  6. those look so cute and sound super tasty! i am actually making a tamale casserole tonight for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Kendy, its been a while :)
      I'll come on over and check out your tamale casserole in a while.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen