Thursday, 17 April 2014

Wild Garlic, Mushroom and Brie Quesadillas

Some of you already know of my home-made Garlic Mushroom and Parsley Pies, but another dish that makes the most of garlic and mushrooms are these Garlic, Mushroom Quesadillas.  This is such an easy peasy recipe knock up when the hunger pangs rumble.

I've used Brie cheese here, like cheddar cheese it tends to be in my fridge, but feel free to use whatever you like - a strong blue cheese would work well, as would oozy mozzarella.
Well early in the week, there was not much in the house to eat in the way of fresh vegetables, except for some mushrooms starting to look a little tired and an open packet of tortilla wraps that were beginning to go hard as I had not wrapped the packet properly.  So this is what  I made to eat as a light snack.  Except it not a light snack when you eat a whole one!
If you don't have any wild garlic, that's okay as the crushed garlic cloves in it would give you enough garlic hit.   I've used wild garlic here for two reasons.  One, I had some in the fridge and secondly for the green colour.  You must admit the colour of sauteed 'sluggish' mushrooms is not always the most attractive to the eye.



As this is a frugal snack, I am sharing this recipe to No Waste Food Challenge, which is usually hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary, but this month Ness of JibberJabber UK hosts. 

Garlic Mushroom and Brie Quesadillas
Serves 2
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil plus extra
1/2 bulb of garlic, peeled and crushed

200g chestnut mushrooms, cleaned, halved or quartered if large
Optional: Handful of wild garlic, roughly chopped 
Salt and pepper to taste
100g Brie cheese, roughly chopped (or any other cheese)
4 tortilla wraps
Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil in a large pan and saut√© the garlic 1 minute before adding in the mushrooms. Keep the heat high and cook the mushrooms, stirring frequently until softened.
Stir in the optional wild garlic and seasoning to taste.  Stir to combine well, then remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.

To assemble the Quesadillas.
Lightly oil a baking tray, then put on one tortilla wrap, spread the cooled Garlic Mushroom evenly, then sprinkle over some of the Brie cheese, then cover with another tortilla wrap. 
NOTE: If you wish, you could sprinkle the cheese on the inside and outside too. 
Repeat the process for other tortilla wrap, then bake in oven at gas mark 4/180oc for 10 minutes till cheese has melted and crispy on the edges. 
Slice in quarters and serve immediately.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, oh, oh, I want some of this Shaheen. It looks naughty, but very tasty. Next time I see some knock down price wraps at the co-op I shall buy them - never bought any before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are reasonably priced, usually under £1 for 8, hope you get some to try - obviously not as good as the real masa harina tortilla wraps from Mexico!

      Delete
  2. These look outstanding. Mushroom and wild garlic is an incredible combo. Hope you have a wonderfully restful long weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom for your warm wishes for a wonderfully restful long weekend, I wish - I am working tomorrow, do have next w/e off though, so am looking forward to that. Hope you have a good one though x

      Delete
  3. I love the sound of this filling. I've never tried baking them before, usually browning them in a pan and turning them, so will have try that out too! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes brown them in the oven too, but sometimes i like to ring the changes. Hope you like

      Delete
  4. I love meals like this, I normally use goats cheese & add some red onion into the mix. You've reminded me to add mushrooms to my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne. Like the sound of goats cheese and the red onion, I would perhaps leave the garlic out in that case.

      Delete
  5. I always prefer wraps and bread to be warm rather than cold. These these so good particulary as nobody else in the house apart from me likes brie and mushrooms! Thanks for linking up with this month's No Waste Food Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You