Thursday, 3 April 2014

Growing Space

Even though I am three weeks behind on the seed sowing front.  I am very Excited to be part of the growing scene again.  I've done most of the digging, clearing the ground of weeds.  Seeds are beginning to germinate (a mish mash of old, new and some sent to me by blogger friends (see here).  
Anyway, I know some of you are interested in seeing my new garden space.  Well here is a peek, when the sun was shining and the sky was blue.
These two bird houses hanging off the potting shed are courtesy of the previous house owner - a keen gardener.
The garden comes with a greenhouse (not shown). A tool shed and a potting shed.  Some fruit trees: apple, pear and plum. A strawberry patch and raspberries that were so well pruned that they have just begun to emerge from the ground.  You can Mr Scarecrow has made himself at home and he looks quite content. 
The soil is lovely. Not sand-like and not clay like.  Just right. I have to admit, I have not begrudged the digging and the weeding this time round, but my sore back would say otherwise.  I am sure this ground will reward us in time; and I am so so looking forward to it. 
Even though I have plenty of growing space, we have decided to grow some potatoes in large pots.
If you would like to know what I am growing - see here.   I will be keeping my blog up-dated of my growing antics, so please do come on by to compare notes. 

16 comments:

  1. wow that garden looks like exciting - love the little scarecrow and birdhouses - and the fruit sounds just wonderful - had a look at your planting list and that is an amazing amount of vegies - is this garden much different to the size of your allotment plot that you had in Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scarecrow was a gift we inherited from D's Dad when we were in Glasgow, it now reminds us of D's Dad now that he is no longer with us and a way to imagine that he is pottering in the garden with us. I can't remember how big the allotment in Scotland, much bigger I think - but I will see if i still have notes to compare and let you know in a blog post

      Delete
  2. So glad you have a garden again, and those bird houses are lovely. I made your msuhroom barley rissotto over the weekend and it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you African Aussie.I am so glad you liked the mushroom barley risotto or orzotto as I've been told its called :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, that look good, Shaheen. It must be so nice to have some growing space once more! The list of plants you are growing is very impressive too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark.
      Thanks to you that i have some interesting seeds too. I am scrounging some from Green Dragonette too, I bump into her now and again when I am in Usk; an she's promised to donate me some :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome...it's really spring there!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! Can't wait to see it in July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SOOO excite too. You'll be reading of my garden progress on a weekly basis :)

      Delete
  6. I am hanging my head in shame, you have done so much. I always grow potatoes in pots, saves digging and is like a treasure hunt when you tip them out! Love the bird boxes xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Fran, no need to feel that way :) Life takes over. I love the bird houses too, but I don't know whether any birdie will take up residence or if they are purely cosmetic. Wait and see.One of the neighbours has birdies nesting in his.

      Delete
  7. How exciting!
    I'd love to grow my own veg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire. I hope you do one-day, try growing in window box or small pots, that is how I got started before I got an allotment, so much prefer the growing space being in my back yard now.

      Delete
  8. How exciting to have your own garden again! Yey! I must get a move on and plant my seeds too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy about this Sooz, and so excited too. So much prefer the growing space being in my back yard now. Good luck with the growing, we must compare notes :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen