Saturday, 12 April 2014

Mushroom Strogonoff with Garlic Chives

Although the sun has been peeking out, its been quite chilly today.

I made one of my quick suppers - Mushroom Strogonoff  - its featured on my blog before, but in place of double cream I used soured cream.  I also had some garlic chives that I picked up last weekend from a farmers market that I frequent every fortnight now.  So I decided to mince some of these down to put into the strogonoff and I kept some stems back for garnish.  
The garlic chives were new to me.  They were certainly garlicky in taste.  I found the some of the stems a tad tough sticking a little to my throat as I swallowed, so I would recommend mincing them. 
You can serve the mushroom strogonoff over bulgar wheat or pasta if you wish, but my preference is steamed or boiled Basmati rice.


Mushroom Strogonoff with Garlic Chives
Serves 3 - 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoons of sunflower or vegetable oil
1 medium white onion, sliced thinly
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
250g mushrooms, left whole if small or sliced if you prefer
120ml soured cream
200ml vegetable stock made with 1/2 teaspoon of bouillon powder
1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce

Handful of garlic chives, minced - keep some back for garnishing if you want
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a pan, heat one tablespoon of oil. Add onion and garlic and fry over medium heat until soft and golden. Add mushrooms and continue to saute for about 5 minutes until cooked through.
Add vegetable stock , the garlic chives and Tamari or soy sauce to the mushrooms, allow it to gently boil. Then turn the heat down. Add the soured cream and let it simmer for a few minutes until well combined with the vegetable stock.
Taste ad and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with plain basmati rice. Garnish with garlic chives.

14 comments:

  1. I need to try this with vegan sour cream...it looks so yumful! I love that you left the mushrooms whole and yes, definitely on basmati. Thanks for the recipe! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do :) Some of the mushrooms are whole, I have to admit I did cut the large ones in half.

      Delete
  2. the garlic chives look pretty as do the mushrooms - I think I would prefer this with the soured cream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to try it with soured cream, my preference too.

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised to hear that the garlic chives were tough. They mustn't have been well grown. They should be soft. When we lived in the Far East we often used to have some in stir-fries, for adding colour as well as flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only some of the stems were tough, I think the older stems were not separated from the tender ones when harvested.

      Delete
  4. This is just my kind of meal! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks superb... I never think about doing a mushroom stroganoff but I know The Viking loves it, so i've added this to the list... very chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom. Best to make when a bit nippy :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rosaria, what a beautiful name you have.

      Delete
  7. Hi Shaheen, hope all's going well, I'm mega busy here so haven't stopped by the blog for a while :( I love a good mushroom strogonoff though so this caught my eye and maybe I'll try it with what I have available, I've got large flat mushrooms and some light creme fraiche. I haven't come across garlic chives before, yours looks really pretty like a little nest. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sweets, I've been a bit distracted lately too. So No worries about coming by to the blog, I totally understand. I will e mail you soon :)
      Thsi dish should work well with creme fraich and def. large flat mushrooms.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen