Sunday, 6 April 2014

In My New Welsh Kitchen

Having moved back to Wales to years ago into rented abode, I have to admit, as lovely as it was I hardly cooked in the that kitchen. as my culinary adventures got me cooking in a little independent eatery that I got to make my own for a year.   Anyway, all that is past and I have moved home again, a little more deeper in to the valleys, but this time it is my HOME.  I don't know if it will be my forever home, but it is home for now and I am looking forward to spending some good years here.  

Today I am sharing some new things in my kitchen, as well as some old that I have rediscovered.
I picked up this handmade up-cycled scrabble board Home Sweet Home sign from a Craft Fayre last month for £3.  It hangs off one of the kitchen cupboards.  
At another Craft Fayre, I treated myself to some Welsh Bunting made with fabric - its about 12 foot.  I would like to use it the garden one of these days when I am entertaining family and friends.  
I also picked up a Welsh Apron.  I promise to take a picture of me wearing it in the near future.  
I'm trying to cut down on the morning caffeine, and have been trying to drink herbal teas, but recently I also sneaked in a box of traditional tea called  Murroughs Welsh Brew to try - stirring stuff!  
My nephew presented this Welsh Spoon with my name inscribed on it a few years back when I live in Scotland.  It has pride of place in my kitchen.  
This Welsh Dragon chopping board has featured on my blog before, the Welsh inscription 'Bara Cartref wedi ei wneud a chariad' translates 'home-made bread made with love'.
Above are some other Welsh gifts bestowed upon me by family over the past few years.  Welsh non-alcoholic Punch, Welsh Sheep Chopping Board, Welsh Sheep Money Box, Welsh Chocolate and Welsh Glitter Ball. 
In My Kitchen Series is hosted by Celia at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.  It is an opportunity for worldwide bloggers to share what is happening in their kitchen.  Please do go by and read about the other bloggers sharing what's going on in their kitchen - the heart of many homes!
Oh I mustn't forget the daffodils, some on my window sill and some in the front garden.

24 comments:

  1. You're not Welsh are you, by any chance....? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am Mark - born and bred. I thought you knew :) I left Wales for University in the mid 1990s, wow seems like yonkies ago (hence I ended up staying in Scotland as long as I did as I found a job there immediately upon graduating).

      Delete
  2. Lovely patriotic post! Your kitchen is full of red dragons! :) And I'm smiling - can't imagine the "Welsh Brew" will be low caffeine - it looks like strong tea! Beautiful daffodils - spring has really sprung in the northern hemisphere (just as we're getting cold nights and mornings here!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. more dragons to come.
      Sorry I don't think I was clear, the Welsh Brew is traditional tea, not a herbal tea. Although the daffs are flourishing, they are sadly still getting a hammering from the rain, still the air seems to be a lot more cooler.

      Delete
  3. Lovely your sheeps, the spoon and the daffodils!
    Thanks for commenting in my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely range of items in your kitchen! :D Love the Welsh dragons everywhere too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love a tour of your new house and your furnishings. You have a really nice taste. :)

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veg Mermaid.
      This is just a small collection, i have to admit the colour of the kitchen is more traditional - wooden in style. Hope to share more in the coming weeks

      Delete
  6. I usually avoid things with flags on, but I do love the Welsh dragon and look forward to seeing you in your new pinny! I'll take a look at the other kitchen posts now. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I tend to avoid flag things too. I am not overly patriotic, but I am proud of my Welsh roots.

      Delete
  7. It's lovely to see some of your treasured kitchen pieces.

    We are thinking of flying some flags from our new garage when it goes up, we'll have to have one of each though the English flag for me, the Scottish one for LH and the Welsh dragon for our new home.

    Should be nice and colourful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue - just a small selection. My kitchen is not red, green or white like the flag, just traditonal wooden style - but I do have Welsh bits and pieces scattered over, moreso since I've moved back home to Wales. You should def. fly some flags when you new garage goes up :)

      Delete
  8. Very Cymru! That chocolate box looks very well crafted. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how lovely to peek in your new kitchen - what herbal teas are you drinking - I only drink herbal as I don't like the taste of tea and there is such a wide variety. Lovely that you have daffodils from the front garden. And I love all the welsh bits and bobs - the welsh dragon is so striking and those sheep are cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Just some Welsh things, my kitchen is not overly patriotic - its very traditional in style and def. needs modernising but that will be in time. I'm drinking a lot of Twinning Teas, to be honest loads were left over from my veg cafe adventure and I rediscovered the box of teas whilst moving, fortunately all are in date - flavoured ones such as apple and ginger (my favourite), dandelion and burdock; acai and blackcurrant, after eight mint tea and one with red fruits. I will share some of them with you next month that is if I haven't finished them, some of the boxes are nearly empty.
      The front garden will be for flowers and some herbs and the back garden for veg, fruit and some herbs. I like the back garden, far more private.

      Delete
    2. the teas sound lovely - I really love how many interesting teas there are - your leftover teas sound like the food we would get from my aunt who had a cafe but she was quite stingy (shhh) and always gave us out of date stuff - so much so that it became a joke - glad you are enjoying the spoils of the cafe

      Delete
    3. I have to admit there are a few in the box that i am not that keen on, so will take them into a place where I do occasional sessional work - a couple of hours a week! Yes, I was lucky with them not being out of date, oh I fib there was one - fennel tea which i did chuck. I've got loads of crockery stuff left over fromt he cafe too. All boxed up, do I keep them in the hope that I may start up a new cooking adventure, or do I have a car boot sale - for now they are fine in the garage.

      Delete
  10. G'day! ABSOLUTELY LOVE your SCRABBLE board!
    Thanks for this month's kitchen view too!!
    Cheers! Joanne
    http://whatsonthelist.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment. I will come by your blog soon

      Delete
  11. Oh congratulations on your move and I hope you will be very happy there and cook many lovely things in your new kitchen - which I'm sure you will do. So many dragons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Choclette. I come over your blog regular, just not commenting as much, saw your photograph in the corner, made me smile :) hope you and yours are well.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen