Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Vegan 'Salmon' Red Chard Tart

Remember that bunch of Red Swiss Chard I shared yesterday, well this is one of the dishes I made with it - a Red Chard Tart, except it looks very pink! 
What is different about that tart is the filling.  It is that it is made with tofu instead of eggs.  It looks salmon- like; and tasted a tad like sea-weed.  I mentioned this flavour of the sea once before when I cooked with Red Chard.  I served this simply with some new potatoes.

If you can't find red chard,  feel free to substitute with any other chard, or even spinach.  Oh I have to admit, in stead of making my own shortcrust pastry from scratch, this time I made use of shop-bought shortcrust pastry, still looks rather rustic.
I point one thing out purely for presentation reasons, it is perhaps best to eat this tart on the day it is made, as the following day it loses that pink tint colour and looks, well like cold quiche - a bit sunken and the baked brown comes through more.  But if that doesn't bother you, then it keeps for a couple of days in the fridge. 

I am sharing this recipe with Helen at Fuss Free Flavours for the Extra Veg Challenge she hosts with Michelle from Utterly Scrummy Food for Families. 

Vegan Red Chard Tart
Serves 6
Ingredients
For the filling
Ready bought pastry to line 6 x 6 inch fluted pie tins; or make your own
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
1 tablespoon fresh parsley; or 1/2 teaspoon dried
120g red Swiss chard, including stalks, chopped and sliced.  Keep the stalks and the leaves separate.
365g firm tofu, crumbled
Method
Gas mark 4/180oc fan oven.
Blind bake the pastry according to packet instructions.  
Then leave to cool and make the tart filling.
Heat the oil in a pot and then saute the onion, when it is beginning to soften stir in the parsley and the chopped stalks from the chard and cook for a few minutes before stirring tin the rest of the chard, cook for a couple of minutes, season and remove from the heat.  
When cool, transfer the onion- chard mixture to a food processor and add in the crumbled tofu. Blitz until smooth.  Spoon carefully and smooth down evenly onto the pastry base of the six tarts and bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until set.  Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the tins and serving. 
Best served on the day.   

14 comments:

  1. Looks pretty and yummy!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how strange it looks pink with all those greens - I have used ruby chard before and found the pink colour odd but never thought of salmon - or made such a beautiful tart with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, The pinkness was best on the day it was made, the following day, the remaining tarts were not so vibrant

      Delete
  3. That does look lovely, very summery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!
    This looks so good!
    Thanks for the recipe! You always make me want to cook more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so so pretty. I must experiment more with tofu in tarts as an egg substitute.

    Thank you so much for sending to #ExtraVeg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shaheen! The title of this post was so intriguing I had to come and take a look - I'm glad I did, I'm often looking for ways to sneak tofu into things (I love it, the other members of my family don't) and we always have heaps of red chard in the garden. Hope you're well, Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you Lucy. And so glad you came over :)
      Envious of your heaps of red chard, I'm hoping I will have some of my own come Autumn.

      Delete
  7. Very interesting to have a vegan tart using tofu! Lovely colour. Would love to try this someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you Hazel.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen