Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Wild Garlic Chickpea Pancakes

Last week I mentioned that I had foraged for some wild garlic, and I promised to share with you some new dishes that I have made with it. So here goes, today I share with you some little savoury wild garlic chickpea pancakes.   

I often describe these chickpea pancakes to people who have not had it before as a flat version of the South Asian onion bhaji aka pakoras. I decided to enhance my plain chickpea pancakes with wild garlic, but if you can't find wild garlic where you are, feel free to substitute with spinach, rocket or any other soft leafy green that takes your fancy, maybe even a herb like coriander, parsley, mint or chives!
These chickpea pancakes are shallow fried in a wide pan.  When I am impatient, I enjoy eating them, especially hot straight from the pan, but they are best warm dipped in a homemade chutney.  I must say though, they are not so good cold. For more wild garlic recipes, please follow this link on my blog for inspiration.



Wild Garlic Chickpea Pancakes
Ingredients
Makes lots - lost count (sorry!)
275g chickpea flour aka gram flour aka besan
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
375ml water
Small handful of wild garlic or other green leaf such as baby spinach, rocket or even chives!

4 tablespoons olive oil or other vegetable oil to shallow fry
Method
In a wide bowl, sift the flour , salt and baking powder. Stir well, then slowly pour the water whisking all the time until well combined and a thick consistency is reached.  Then stir in the minced leafy greens.  Allow to sit for a minimum of 20 minutes before using.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wide pan, heat then using a small ladle pour some batter into the pan.  You should be able to pour/make four mini pancakes in the pan.  Cook gently over medium to high heat, when bubbles begin to surface, flip the pancake over to cook on the other side for a couple of minutes.  Transfer to a plate and continue until all the batter is finished.  Best enjoyed warm.
I am sharing some of these dainty chickpea pancakes to Michelle over at Utterly Scrummy Food for Families for the Simple and in Season run by Ren Behan

12 comments:

  1. They look beautiful. I keep seeing lots of lovely recipes using wild garlic and I#m really hoping I can find some somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some, definitely the season of wild garlic - next it will be elderflowers!

      Delete
  2. Those look yummy!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet those were really good! This is the sort of food you do best, Shaheen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mark. I actually did my first ever food demonstration this weekend gone at a country fayre and this is what i made minus the wild garlic. I also made wild garlic hummus - sold out!

      Delete
  4. brilliant way to use wild garlic... and so original... I WILL be making this this weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom. I really do hope you get round to making them and most of all enjoying them, as much as I did - best fresh!

      Delete
  5. They sound delicious, and most versatile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they are def. versatile - do try with other ingredients, but keep the base the same.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen