Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Chickpeas and Peach Curry

Inspired by Jack Monroe.

Many of you know that I have not been buying any cookbooks due to lack of income, and have been borrowing books from my library for the past couple of year.  I am patiently waiting for Jack Monroe doesn't seem to have hit the bookshelves there yet, unless some eager beaver already has his/her mitts on it. I've been told it has a lot of vegetarian recipes, so I am keen to flick through its pages.  But I am a little impatient, as the one recipe I have been hearing a lot about is the Peach and Chickpea Curry and its got me excited of sorts.  

One of my weekly university student budget standby dishes would be a Chickpea Curry with white rice.  I would often bulk up the Chickpea Curry by adding another vegetable, mostly a green veg like broccoli or a leafy green like spinach.  The last time I made a variation of Chickpea Curry was not too long ago, when I was experimenting with wild garlic and made a pot of Wild Garlic Chickpea Curry. Well this recipe is that very same recipe, except for a couple of changes.  In place of butter I have used vegetable oil and instead of adding the wild garlic towards the end, I have tossed in slices of peaches including its juices.  
I was never a fan of sweet and sour or even spicy combination, but over the years my palette has been more welcoming.  I've had curry dishes with hunza apricots, raisins and sultanas, but never peach, saying that though I did make Curried Peach Tartlets a while back, but I wasn't that keen on it.
This however, I thoroughly enjoyed.  I am also pleased in the knowledge that I ate some fruit (albeit from a tin).  I am very good at eating my vegetables, but terrible when it comes to fruit.  Tinned fruit might be the way to go for me, well at least in the autumnal and winter seasons.



This is a lovely recipe and I have absolutely no doubt that Jack Monroe's version is just as tasty, if not better.  I will make her version as soon as I get my paws on her cookbook, bit right now I thank her for inspiring me.  For Jack Monroe's Chickpea and Peach Curry follow this link,  my version is below.
Chickpeas and Peach Curry
Serves 3, maybe 4 (Serve with rice)
Ingredients
2 - 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 inch of ginger, grated or minced
1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
1 teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
Optional 2 fresh chillies, sliced
200g tinned tomatoes, chopped 
 400g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Optional Fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Method
In a large wide pan, heat the oil then add the minced onions, garlic and ginger and cook until transparent, add the spices, (the optional fresh chilli if using) and cook until the oil comes to the surface. Add the tomatoes and cook until well integrated, mash with spoon as you go along to break it up. Then add the chickpeas and the peaches including its juices, stir and turn heat down. Keep stirring to stop the chickpeas and peaches from sticking to the pan, about 5 minutes before turning the heat off, stir in the optional coriander.  Serve with rice.

10 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! I love curry!...I just borrowed It's all Good by Gwyneth Paltrow from the library...it has a lot of vegan recipes...

    http://www.amazon.com/Its-All-Good-Delicious-Recipes/dp/1455522716

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa,
      I've seen it in my local library, will pick it up next time.

      Delete
  2. This sounds great - thanks for sharing the recipe.
    I have not heard of this combination before.
    Emma :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma, it sure is interesting to try.

      Delete
  3. Oooh love a homemade curry but haven't tried the chickpea/peach combo. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG so long my friend, so good to hear from you. Do hope your well, I will come on over. You should try this combo, think you'll like it.

      Delete
  4. wow that does sound like an amazing recipe - Jack Munroe's recipes look interesting in the link - have never heard of her before so much look out her blog and will be interested to hear about the book when you get it.

    BTW I love fruit though I go through phases of not eating it but fresh in season fruit is just pure joy - apples for us at the moment but I find the end of winter, start of spring is when I love preserved fruit because the fresh stuff is terrible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna.
      Jack Monroe is pretty big here at the moment re the food scene, she's got everything going for her. I'm just jumping on the bandwagon so to speak, I won't be buying the book, only borrowing it from the library - my bookshelf is burgeoning, in fact i need to make a cull! and donate some or have a boot sale.

      We just need to have more fruit in our fruit bowl other than bananas :) We have rhubarb at the moment, but thats a veg, not a fruit.

      Delete
  5. I love peaches and I love curry. This is one to try for me :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen