Friday, 18 April 2014

Garden Dug

Early in the month I showed you my new growing space - click here if you missed that post.
Well let me show you some good progress 
I dug this front part up a couple of weeks back and out of nowhere raspberry stalks have sprung up.  Too many in fact, that I am trying to control them, as I want a vegetable patch, not a raspberry garden.
Here is the garden from the top end.  I started the weeding and digging, and D finished it off just a few hours back.  He's going to have a sore back tomorrow, its been a long while since he dug the ground.  Like me, he is very excited to be growing fruit and vegetables again, but for him - its the greenhouse - he wants home-grown tomatoes.  I think he will get some, but not in the quantities he's grown in the past (see here) - slowly slowly we will get there once again.   

You can see the greenhouse at the front.  Lots of seeds are sprouting, including tomatoes!
Below we have some sweet peas that are crying to come out of the seedling box.  We will be building wigwams tomorrow for them to climb up on. 
Oh something I did not show you in the previous growing space post, is our pergola, makes me feel oh la la.  I love it - but D has other ideas.  Because the strong gusts of wind early this year, the pergola has been given a good battering.  Its not straight, so he is thinking perhaps removing it next year. 
I hope not, as I am loving it and the climbing roses and clematis that is climbing all over it. are just going to look gorgeous when they bloom  
And finally, somewhere for me to hang my recycled lanterns - I brought these withe me when we moved from Glasgow. 

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely little garden (especially the pergola) - and looks like you'll have some great veg too. We are planting out our polytunnel with little tomato plants at the moment and our windowsills are full of seedlings of various kinds- what an exciting time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its not so little :) I need to mak use of our windowsills as we have no shelving in the greenhouse yet and the slugs are getting to the seedlings, by the time they have feasted we will have nothing to plant out :( Still your right, exciting time of year and I can finally be part of it again :)

      Delete
  2. Looks lovely Shaheen, I'm so glad you have a garden to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sooz. I really am happy to have growing space again, really am :)

      Delete
  3. Wow look at all that space you have now to grow things, I can't wait to see what else you are going to plant. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne, I will def. be sharing over the next few months that is if the snails and slugs don't nick all my seedlings.

      Delete
  4. It must be nice to have some space to spread out! That garden is a "blank canvas to be painted upon". I can picture your pergola with a grape vine growing up it - or maybe Wistaria?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mark :) Blank canvas to be painted upon - we are so disorganised this year, not growing rota as such this year, just going to get stuck in. next year, hopefully we will be more organised, this yr just want to grow something. I actually think we may have wisteria growing up the pergola, not clematis - I remember the seller mentioning wisteria, going to have to wait and maybe then you can confirm for me, i'm not that good with flowers, unless they are edible!

      Delete
  5. wow you have been busy! my veg patch is mostly raspberries because I love them :-) I have autumn and summer varieties! this year I'm letting them rampage as a back injury means no digging for me: getting someone else to do it is not the same: I shall watch yours grow instead :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you chocolategirl. I don't have anythign against raspberries, do like them, but i love my veg more :) so am precious about the space. Sorry to read of your back injury, hope you heal.

      Delete
  6. Wow you've been a busy bee! The garden is a great growing space and I bet you are both loving getting stuck in to planting again. Love the pergola too :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have been, hence the reason in my delay in e mailing you - promise I will x I am loving the pergola, and the flowers upon it are beginning to bloom. Will share more, my growing mojo is not strong as it was before, maybe it will come back as the days go on

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You