Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Strawberry Sorbet of Sorts

After my success with the Rhubarb sorbet,  Rosemary and Lemon sorbet and much more recently with Orange and Chilli Granita,  I had decided to make one from the Honeydew Melon that my husband had bought to sit and look golden pretty in the fruit bowl.  I also decided to make one with the last of the strawberries in the garden, so that is the one that I will share with you today.  I followed a really simple recipe that I made a few good years ago.  The photograph directly below is from that post that I dubbed 'Strawberry Ice Roses'.  It was such a lovely sweet dessert that I was looking for a reason to make it again and with it being so hot, that reason alone was enough.

You could if you were that were inclined add some herbs to this strawberry sorbet, such as mint or basil; or even black pepper - remember my Strawberry and Black Pepper Lassi . However, this time I decided to keep it pure and allow the natural flavour of the strawberries to come through.

If you have ever wondered what the difference was between Sorbet and Granita? As both contain the same ingredients and are dairy free. The main difference between them is texture created by the freezing process. Sorbets are smoother due to the churning, or beating during freezing. Whereas granitas are not stirred in any way while freezing, which makes the texture is somewhat crystal like and are more like ice granules when scraped and heaped into serving dishes. Which ever you prefer, both are excellent thirst quenchers. 
 
I am sharing this very summery dish over to Javelin Warrior's for his Made with Love Mondays;
Kate of What Kate Baked who has chosen lce-creams, Jellies and Frozen Desserts for this month's Tea Time Treats . Tea Time Treats is co-hosted by Karen of Lavender and Lovage.; and the Four Seasons Food 'Summer Puds' challenge. Four Seasons Food hosted by Anneli of Delicieux and Louisa at Chezfoti.
Strawberry Sorbet of sorts
You will also need a large freezer tub.
Ingredients
500g ripe strawberries
175g caster sugar
1 pint water
4 tablespoons lemon juice
Method
First hull the strawberries, then put them in a colander and rinse briefly with cold water. Drain well and then quarter them, before transferring them to a food processor. Blend to a smooth puree, then add the sugar and blend again very briefly. After that add the water and lemon juice, blend one more. Pour into freezer box, cover with lid and put into freezer for 2 hours.
Remove from freezer, put back into food processor and blend until the ice has broken down, pour back into container and put back into freezer. You will have to repeat this process twice more to achieve that smooth texture. This recipe was previously posted on my blog as Strawberry Ice Roses.

 post

12 comments:

  1. What adorable sorbet roses! Those are so beautiful... I do love sorbets, especially those that manage to mimic the smooth texture of ice cream. I guess that means I prefer sorbet to granita, although I don't think I've ever actually given granita a try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Javelin Warrior. Your support is most appreciated.

      Delete
  2. I'm definetley going to try this!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi. Please let me know how you get along.

      Delete
  3. that just looks so pretty!... I love how you've swirled it, it's beautiful and I do love the texture too, very chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom. I like the comment, very chic - made me smile.

      Delete
  4. How refreshing and Summery. How can anyone resist a strawberry - I know I can't and yours looks perfect. Thanks for entering this into Four Seasons Food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anneli. I am so pleased I discovered it so that I could share this recipe. I am hoping to share my honeydew melon one too, that's if I get round to photographing it in time. Its in the freezer.

      Delete
  5. YUM! Your little sorbet curls are so cute!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you. So hope your well.

      Delete
  6. Nothing says summer like strawberries and such pretty rose shapes as well! Thank you for entering these into TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness - how did we lose touch?? I have just found you again as your name has popped up on a couple of challenges. Hope things are going well for you.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You