Friday, 9 August 2013

Black Turtle Beans and Pepper Enchillada

I am not joking when I say I must have made this dish over a hundred times in the last five years.  So I am rather surprised at myself that I never got to post it, perhaps because I thought it such a simple and easy recipe to post, that I overlooked it.  The closest to enchiladas that I got to post were in my first year of blogging - a blog post that I called Chilli Cucumbers and Chimichangas.  Here's the link to it if you are interested in viewing it
The last time I made Enchilladas was a couple of months ago for my business venture.  It was described by customers 'as lush', well I wouldn't go as far as that in describing it, but it certainly is delicious, wholesome and filling. 

Although the tortilla wraps are purchased ready made from a local supermarket, the Red Pepper and Black Beans filling is totally made from scratch.  I really really like black beans, also known as turtle beans, they seem to have more flavour  and seem to be more easily digestible.  The Black Beans filling is best made in advance and left for a day or too for the flavours, namely the spices to intensify and infuse the black turtle beans. 
The last couple of days, we've enjoyed the Red Pepper and Black Turtle Beans a number of ways - simply served with plain white Basmati rice; but our most favourite way of eating this chilli is wrapped tightly in a tortilla and slathered in cheddar cheese aka the Enchillada served with a side salad of peppery rocket.  Nom nom.  This morning with D going into work a little later than usual, we even had it for brunch, this time served with fried eggs and jalapeno tomatoes and some more rocket.
I am sharing this recipe with My Legume Love Affair 62. MLLA  was created by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook, and is now run by Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen. This August it is being hosted by Siri at Cooking with Siri. I am also sharing this recipe with the Flavours of Mexico (1st-31st August) hosted by Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey; and Simply Food who is hosting Lets Cook with Cheese.
To assemble the Enchilladas
Tortilla Wraps
Black Turtle Bean and Pepper Chilli (see below for recipe)
Mexican Cheese (cheddar cheese studded with chillies and pepper) or Cheddar Cheese, grated
Optional sides:Jalapenos; Guacamole; Soured Cream; Salsa and; Salad Greens and Tomatoes
Take a tortilla wrap and place a generous spoonfuls of Black Turtle Bean and Pepper filling in the middle, then fold the ends in and then form a roll.  Place in an ovenproof dish, continue this until you have the number you require. Laying each side by side in the ovenproof dish. 
Generously and evenly sprinkle over the grated cheddar cheese and bake in the oven at 180°C for 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly on top.  Serve on a place along with the optional sides.
Black Turtle Bean and Pepper Chilli
Serves 4 - 6 as an accompaniment
250g black turtle beans, soaked overnight. 
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 medium onions, finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
2 small red chillies, sliced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 red pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 x 400g can of tomatoes, chopped
  Salt and pepper to taste
In a wide pan, cook beans in water until tender.  Drain and set aside.
In a saucepan, warm the oil on medium heat.  Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions become soft.  Add the celery and chilli, then cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
Reduce the heat and stir in the cumin, oregano, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Cover and cook until the peppers begin to soften.  Stir occasionally to keep the spices from burning.  Then add in the tomatoes and soy sauce cook for about 5 minutes, then stir in the black beans and cook for 10minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

Here the Black Turtle Beans and Pepper Chilli has been enjoyed with plain white rice.


  1. Ooh, they look great. I love an enchilada!

  2. These look delicious and protein packed, Thankyou for sharing this recipe with Lets cook with cheese event.

    1. Thanks Nayna, Pleased to be part of it

  3. This sounds delicious and something I can have made ahead (filling) and then pack to take on a picnic putting the enchiladas together then. The ingredient list is excellent and ahem...I happen to have a lovely red hot pepper plant growing on the deck!! Great Shaheen..thanks so much for inspiring.

    1. Thanks GardeningBren.
      Just a word of caution they may not be suitable for a picnic as a little sloppy, but you can get away with it if the filling is thick and not too loose with the sauce.

      PS envious of your red hot pepper :)

    2. Thanks for the heads up. Will either drain can of tomatoes or...use a Marzano variety from Italy that is quite thick in the tin. I am anxious to make this.

    3. San Manzano tomatoes are fab for sauces, I grew some when I was in Glasgow - no good to eat fresh but cooked wonderful. I do hope you enjoy.

  4. How funny we should both post such a similar dish at more or less the same time. I don't know why I haven't made them before, because they were so good. I find black beans quite hard to get hold of, but I do like them. Your filling sounds delicious.

    1. HI Choclette, I agree - but I have to say I' made this dish in advance when I read about the Mexican challenge and thought it would be great to make it again, its my husbands favourite. I know what you mean about the black turtle beans being hard to get hold of, I had the same problem. I only had a load left over from my large purchase from Suma when I was running the culinary project. It was a real best seller there.

  5. This looks so good! I really love mexican style food. Especially burritos and chilli!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You