Saturday, 3 August 2013

Rhubarb Rosewater Compote and Vanilla Lassi

I know many people are indulging in iced teas and iced lattes, frappacinos and the like, but I have been indulging in sweet Lassi's lately.  Remember my Strawberry and Black Pepper Lassi.

Well with plenty of rhubarb still growing in my garden, it was inevitable that a rhubarb flavoured one would appear on my blog.  My husband is not a fan of milky drinks, but he was swayed into trying a sip when he cottoned on to the fact that this lassi was going to be made with home-grown rhubarb.  Well this sip soon turned into a large glass.  He liked it very much, especially the sharp twang from the rhubarb and the yogurt.


Once you've got the yogurt-milk base ratio sorted, Lassi is a doddle to make.  Its a recipe that you can tweak to suit your taste buds.  Here I have used rosewater as an additional flavouring in the compote, but you can also use cinnamon, ginger, star anise or even crushed cardamom.  If you want to zhoosh it up even further, you can even add nuts.  I remember the traditional sweet and savoury lassi my mother would make when we were young, it would sometimes contain bitty almonds.  You don't have to use almonds though: pistachios and walnuts work well too.  As for sweetness, you can replace the vanilla with maple syrup, runny honey or brown sugar.   It's completely up to you, so go on experiment tingle that tongue.
Moggy 'playing dead' in the background of this photo-shot

Rhubarb-Rosewater Compote and Vanilla Lassi
Serves 2
Ingredients for the Rhubarb Rosewater Compote
300g rhubarb stalk, washed and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon rosewater
Method
Put all ingredients into a shallow baking dish and bake at gas mark 180oc for 30 minutes or until soft and pulpy.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool. 

If there is any rhubarb compote, try adding stirring it to Greek yogurt - see this link.
Ingredients for the Rhubarb Rosewater and Vanilla Lassi
2 - 4 tablespoons of rhubarb-rosewater compote
160g homemade yogurt or natural live yogurt or Greek Yogurt (not Greek style)
180ml semi skimmed milk
Pinch of cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract  (or 1 tablespoon maple syrup)
Extra brown sugar or runny honey to taste

Optional: ice cubes for serving
Method
Blend all the ingredients .  Taste, tweak and adjust sweetness to suit your taste buds, blitz again if necessary until nice and frothy.  Pour over optional ice-cubes for a cooler drink, stir well before drinking.  Best consumed on the day.

6 comments:

  1. I really love yoghurt-based drinks. This looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello shaheen,

    I want to make your aubergine pepper pot but have a silly question since I have no veg stock. Will veg broth do?
    This is likely to be post birthday since the peas must soak over night.

    Cheers and thanks for your inspiration in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi e,
      sorry for the delay in response. Yes, veg broth is perfectly fine, in my books they are pretty much the same thing :)
      Hope you like and let me know your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. That sounds so good right now! The roses really got my attention and I had to keep reading. I'll definitely save this recipe to try. Thank you for sharing and giving suggestions. :)

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi. I do hope you like if you get a chance to make it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen