Monday, 19 August 2013

Welsh Gnocchi in Perl Las Leek Cream Sauce

Over the past few months, I've been eating a lot of vegan dishes and cheese has not been part of my diet much, so  yesterday I had planned to remake my Welsh Goats Cheese Gnocchi, but it quickly turned into a slightly more rich and decadent version.   Read on and you'll see how. 

This time the gnocchi  was coated in a copious amounts of creamy cheese sauce, bulked up with sauteed sweet baby Welsh leeks.  And when I say cheese sauce, I mean Welsh cheese.  I could have gone down the obvious Welsh cheese route by choosing Caerfilli/Caerphilly cheese, but I wanted to ring the changes and this time picked up some creamy blue Perl Las whilst in Cardiff city on Saturday.  Perl Las means 'blue pearl' and is made by a family business called Caws Cenarth.  I discovered it only last year upon my return (from Scotland) back to Wales.  It really is unlike any other blue cheese I've tasted. 
Anyway, the addition of the Perl Las cheese enhances the sauce, in fact, I'd go as far as describing this sauce as uber rich, and that is a word I hardly use in my vocabulary, its so rich, that I'd advise you have some good crusty bread to mop up the thick flavoursome sauce.  Its voluptuous stuff.

You can simply add the gnocchi plain sailing to the Perl Las Leek Cream sauce, but I wanted more textures and something I've been wanting to do a while is pan-fry the gnocchi described as rapid roastini, something I saw in Nigella Lawson's Kitchen cookbook. It worked beautifully, the creamy sauce offset against the crisp exterior of the gnocchi, a bit like a good roast potato!
After this mega rich meal, you'll want to have a nap or a good glass of red wine. 
I am sharing this recipe with Simply Food who is hosting Lets Cook with Cheese.

Welsh Gnocchi in Perl Las Leek Cream Sauce
Serves four
Ingredients for the Welsh Gnocchi
650g potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
200g self raising flour, plus extra for rolling and dusting
1 medium egg
Method
Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain and return tot he pan and shake over a low heat to evaporate excess moisture, season with salt, pepper. Mash well. Transfer to a bowl, add the flour and stir to combine. Beat in the egg, then turn out onto a floured surface. Knead the mixture briefly, then divide into 4. Roll out each piece with your hand into a 1 inch cylinder. Cut into 1 inch dumplings. Chill in the fridge until ready to cook. When ready to cook, drop the dumplings into boiling salted water. When they rise to the surface, they are cooked and ready to serve.
or buy 500g ready made if you want this to be a quick after work meal.
Cook according to packet instructions.
Optional *Pan fry in a little olive oil until crisp and golden brown on both sides.
Ingredients for the Sauce
60g full fat butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 baby leeks, or 2 large leeks, sliced and thoroughly washed
150ml - 200ml single or double cream
100g Perl Las Cheese or similar blue vein cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Heat butter and oil in a wide pan until melted, add leeks and saute on medium heat until soft and well cooked.  Set aside.
Method for the creamy Perl Las Leek Cream Sauce
Add oil and butter in a wide pan, until it melts then add in the leeks and sauté until soft and tender, then stir in the cream and turn the heat low and bring to a gentle simmer.  Stir in the cheese and allow to melt.  Season to taste. When you are ready to serve, stir in the gnocchi and allow to heat through.  Taste and tweak seasoning and serve immediately.
OR Spoon the Perl Las Leek Cream Sauce evenly between four plates and then share the pan- fried crispy gnocchi between plates. Serve immediately.

10 comments:

  1. That sounds just lovely, I shall have too keep my eyes peeled for some Perl Las cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I live in Wales and struggle to find it locally - hence having to got to Cardiff (a deli) to get some.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE perl las. You can't get it here though. We're having leeks for tea tonight with hard boiled eggs, mashed potatoes and cheese sauce. I learned it as Anglesey eggs - but I've no idea if it has any authenticity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you AJ. YOu may be surprised to note that even though live in Wales, I struggle to find it locally - hence having to got to Cardiff (a deli) to get some. I've been making to make some Anglesey eggs for my husband, don't think he's ever had it.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of Perl Las cheese, but I like the sound of it. Probably not available in many places though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Yeah, true won't be available at many places but I Know you can order on-line. When I lived in Scotland, I really really liked Strathdon Blue, miss it and keep my eyes peeled for it. Its v different from Per Las.

      Delete
  4. Oh it looks wonderful Shaheen. Welcome back to the world of cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac. Its actually been a month of cheese.

      Delete
  5. Yum this looks delicious.Thanks for linking this recipe to Lets cook with cheese event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nayna. I've been sending lots of recipes to you this month. Def. on the cheese bus this month.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen