Friday, 2 August 2013

It really is a easy Owl Cake to make

With plenty of time on my hands at the moment, D's been dropping me off at my parents home where the nephews and nieces have gathered for their summer holidays.  I've just been tagging along for company and for the day and night to go by. 

However, yesterday I decided instead of sitting around like a lemon, I would bake a cake with them.  Of course, it had to be a child friendly cake, one that I could make with the nephews and nieces all eager to play their part in decorating the cake.   
I recalled seeing one from Sew White that claimed to be really easy to make, well for me that was enough and the fact that it was shaped as an owl made it even more appealing to me and the kids.   Well, I really recommend it.  It was my first attempt at making a character cake and the kids were delighted with it too, both in aesthetics and in taste.
I did do a few things differently from Sew Whites original Easy Owl Cake, I used a larger baking tin.  I did not use chocolate ganache on mine.  Instead I made vanilla butter cream that was spread under the milk chocolate buttons.  Two of my nieces went to the shop to pick up a packet of smarties for the eyes pupils.  One of the other nephews decided to use some broken pretzels for claws and another decided to make a white mouse from the remaining fondant from the eyes (see bottom of owl next to the pretzel claws). 

I enjoyed my cake making day with them and hope I can squeeze in a few more before their summer holidays are up. 
It Really is a easy Owl Cake to make
For the chocolate sponge recipe and step by step decorating instructions follow this link Sew Whites original Easy Owl Cake.

12 comments:

  1. excellent, I really like owls so will give this cake a try xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so simple to make Miss Piggy Bank. And very little wastage in the trimming of the cake too.

      Delete
  2. That is such a cute cake!!
    Before moving out I would bake cakes and cupcakes with my nephew all of the time. :)

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi. I hope you get a chance to make more cakes with you nephew in the near future.

      Delete
  3. This was just too cute! It sounds like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I made a fort once when my children were small and they asked what it was supposed to be! But I am going to keep this for my grandchildren xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's funny Fran. Being asked what it's supposed to be by your kids :) I hope you get to make this for your grand children one day.

      Delete
  5. cute and I love how there is little cake cut away that gets wasted - even more fun with the kids - glad they got into it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, I so agree, the bit that was cut off wasn't even wasted. Two otf the smaller nephews shared it between themselves, declaring it yummy.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen