Saturday, 24 August 2013

Oaty Ginger and Plum Crumble

My father gave me some plums that have fallen off the tree in the garden both due to ripeness and weight.  The nippers (nephews and nieces) were not that keen on them, so they were looking for someone to offload them on to.  I gladly obliged.  I had ideas of making my Almond, Plum and Thyme Tart.  But as the days went by, sunny on some and dark and grey on others, my thoughts turned to a homely plum crumble: one that I've made before, infused with fiery ginger.  I like ginger, there is something warming and healing about it.  This particular crumble is also made with rolled oats, I like the additional chewy texture it offers.   

I think I've mentioned in one of my other posts, that we've also got some peach doughnuts that are beginning to ripen in the fruit bowl, so I know I'll be making another crumble very soon as this one disappeared very very quickly, especially as it was served with cream. 
As this months letter is G, I have decided to send this Ginger Plum Crumble to Alphabakes, alternatively co-hosted by either Caroline at Caroline Makes or  Ros of The More Than Occasional Baker.   I am also sharing it with Feel Good Food hosted by Victoria of A Kick at the Pantry Door who has also chosen ginger as a feel good ingredient.

Ginger Plum Crumble
Serves 6
Ingredients
600g -700g plums, stones removed and sliced
2 fat pieces of stem ginger, minced
50g caster sugar
For the crumble topping
150g plain four
100g chilled, diced butter
75g, caster sugar
50g rolled oats
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6. Place the plums in a 2 pint ovenproof dish and scatter over the ginger and sugar.
Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles unevenly sized breadcrumbs. Stir through the sugar and oats and scatter over the plums, do not be tempted to press it down.
Bake for 30 - 35 minutes until the plums are soft and the crumble is golden brown.
 

18 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of fresh plums, and we too have a laden tree this year, so this is a very timely recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. Do hope you like if you get to make it.

      Delete
  2. I was making a plum crumble today too but I let the plums bake for too long and ended up with baked plum jam which is amazing!!! Yours looks very very good and I know how amazing your kitchen must have smelt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dom, baked plum jam sounds a lot more satisfying. Did you make scones to spread it on!

      Delete
  3. They look very mouth-watering. I'd love to have a try at some of these. :)

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi. You are very kind.

      Delete
  4. Definately going to pinch your recipe and make for the pudding tomorrow. Keep the recipes coming, love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I do hope you approve. I've also made a peach doughnut and dates version, will post very soon.

      Delete
  5. home grown plums in a warming dessert sounds like great comfort food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Lot more plummy recipes to come.

      Delete
  6. I have just had some plums of my Mums tree and was wondering what to do with them. Just came across this post and I now have some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to make this Zoe, so easy. And I think you'll like it too. Got your e mail, will respond, just have my mother in law so can't be up on the computer for too long. Promise will respond in the next few days.

      Delete
  7. I bet the nippers would like them as a crumble with lots of their favourite ice cream :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they would have Sue.
      So lovely to hear from you.

      Delete
  8. Great use of your ripe plums. You just can't beat a good fruit crumble especially when the weather is unpredictable! Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As much as I want to fight it, autumn is just around the corner, and I can already feel the pull of yummy crumbles and puddings just like this one! Ginger and Plum are a perfect match, thank you so much for linking this recipe with Feel Good Food :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Victoria, I agree autumn is just around the corner, I have to admit I am looking forward to it, but not the winter bbrrrrr

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen