Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Sweet Potato Muesli

I've been making home-made muesli since last year inspired by a couple of Allegra McEvedy recipes, which of course I cannot find links to on the world wide web.  Never mind, I just can't believe it took me so long to make my own, its oh so simple to do and far more affordable than those sold at the supermarkets or health food shops. 

I began making home-made muesli when I found myself with a large sack of rolled oats (5lb honestly) and working really early hours of the day.  I couldn't stand the thought of a greasy fry up or a plain piece of wholemeal toast; and so it was porridge, which quickly turned into muesli.  I had originally made muesli for breakfast.  Now I find it is good to eat any time of the day, but I don't think I will count the evening in that.  

When September comes - not that its that far away, I am planning to have a go at making granola.  I have plenty of dried cranberries, pecan nuts and maple syrup.  I am not the only one excited about those ingredients, my husband loves them too.

Back to this particular Sweet Potato Muesli.  I found the sun-dried (dehydrated) sweet potato strips at a Oriental supermarket.  These sweet potato strips were not overly sweet, but they were quite chewy giving the back teeth and the jawline a proper work out.  In fact I thought they were too chewy to be enjoyed as a digestive sweet.  So once I had torn the packet open, I knew I had to do something else with them.  I had thoughts of adding it to a muffin, a bit like this Green and Gold Barley Muffins, but with the peach doughnuts in my fruit bowl that idea went out the window. I had to make something that would last, hence the store-cupboard breakfast muesli. 
I am sharing this very summery dish over to Javelin Warrior's for his Made with Love Mondays; Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill at  Real Food Forager.
 
Sweet Potato Muesli
6 - 8 Portions
Ingredients
500g Rolled Porridge Oats
200g Sun-dried Sweet Potato Strips, chopped
100g Sunflower Seeds
75g Pumpkin Seeds
100g Golden Sultanas
75g Toasted Flaked Coconut
1 teaspoon mixed spice
Method
Simply tip all the ingredients into a large bowl, stir well with a wooden spoon and decant into a kilner jar or Tupperware tub with a fitting lid and seal until ready to enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. I'm absolutely fascinated by the idea of dried sweet potato. I'll have to see if I can find that in any of our local shops. I do love discovering new ingredients :) And this definitely looks like my kind of muesli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find them. I tried it for the first time when I was in Sweden, but was delighted to have found some at an Oriental store.

      Delete
  2. I have never even heard of sun-dried sweet potatoes before - how unique and tasty! I make granola regularly, but I rarely have muesli and this reminds me that I need to give it a go. This sounds very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried it for the first time when I was in Sweden, but was delighted to have found some at an Oriental store. I am hoping to have a go at making granola soon.

      Delete
  3. Nice

    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    http://frugaliciouschick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen