Friday, 30 August 2013

Vegan Carrot Biscuits or Cookies

I was conversing with my good blogger friend at Poppycock and other creative nonsense.  She informed me that she was making some Carrot and Orange soup.  I responded back that I had a load of carrots and was unsure what I was going to do with them. I have to be honest I am not quite ready for soup yet.  

Well in a bid to use up 500g carrots, yesterday afternoon I hit the kitchen.  I made not one, not two, not three dishes, but five carrot infused dishes, of which two were sweet .   I also made  a coleslaw without mayonnaise, instead it was perked up with other flavours.
I will share some of the other carrot injected dishes with you in the next few days, but today I share with you these vegan carrot biscuits OR carrot cookies.  
For those of you who may go eek carrots in a biscuit, I have to say these did not taste overly of carrot.  They were very nice though, I think there are only a couple left as they were very very easy to eat, especially warm from the oven. If you like the sound of this you may like my ultimate dunkable carrot biscuit.  
 
Vegan Carrot Biscuits or Carrot Cookies
Makes 8 - 12
Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegan margarine (Pure)
2 tablespoons of sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
6 tablespoons of self-raising flour
4 tablespoon of carrot, grated
1 tablespoon of water
Method
Cream together the margarine  and the sugar, then add in the vanilla essence and grated carrots.
Fold in the flour, slowly adding the water to bind.
Drop tablespoons of the soft batter onto a tray covered with baking parchment and press down with a fork.  Sprinkle over a little sugar.  Bake in oven at 180oc for 12 - 15 minutes. This slightly adapted recipe for Carrot Biscuits comes from We'll Eat Again: A collection of recipes from the War Years.  I don't normally republish recipes, but this one is made available all over blogosphere.



6 comments:

  1. If you can have Carrot Cake, then why should anyone be surprised by Carrot Biscuits? (I love the 1984 mug by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark. The 1984 mug was not my purchase, it was gifted to me by my nephew,

      Delete
  2. cookies look too crisp to be resisted,loved the speckled carrots on them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope they taste as good as they look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were quite nice, needed to press them a little more for the crunch part.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen