Thursday, 22 December 2011

Spicy Carrot with Chickpeas

Ah natural wintry dark day light is going to be around for a few months more, so moody lighting will have to be accepted by the amateur photographers and the food bloggers in us.

I made this 'Spicy Carrot with Chickpeas' last night for our evening meal.  There was about a bowl left over (see below).  I reheated it earlier and tipped it over some toasted bread.  It was quite a nice change from plain buttery toast. 
I know know Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has a very similar recipe in his new book Veg Everyday, not that I have a copy (yet).  I know this as I saw the recipe in The Guardian, or was it The Observer a few months ago.  Anyway, in the mighty words of 'Mr Everything Comes From India', a character in the British sitcom comedy Goodness Gracious Me.    I think Hugh and his team may have been inspired by some Indian home cooks when they came up with their variation. 

My version is by no ways authentic either.  In fact my mother would tut and roll her eyes, as there is no onion or ginger in it for a start - a good base for any authentic South Asian 'curry', but it have flavours that are undeniably South Asian - warmth and spice!  And its so easy to make that even the laziest of cooks will be satisfied with their homely attempts.  I'd go as far as describing this as student grub - excellent for when your living on a budget.  Oh how can I forget that's me these days - living on a tight budget and I am not even a student.  

Spicy Carrot with Chickpeas
Serves 4
60g full fat butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon garam masala
½-1 teaspoon chilli flakes or 1 fresh red chilli, sliced

Salt to taste
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Heat the butter and oil in a wide pan over a medium heat. Add the carrots, garlic and spices and saute them for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring often.  Add a little water if its sticking to the pan.  When the carrots are tender, add the chickpeas and cook until the chickpeas are warmed through. Serve immediately with chappati, naan bread, in pitta breads or even over toasted bread slices.


  1. wow..carrot & chick peas! Lovely combo!

  2. This sounds lovely. Think I will give this a try.

  3. wonderful dish; fast and easy to make, full of aroma and warmth. You can't really ask for more. Will try it on a cold January night :))

  4. Yum, I love the look of this! This is absolutely my kind of go-to cooking for week night suppers. (My only problem is my French husband feels cheated if there is not MEAT in his supper! This actually means I let him do a lot of the cooking...) I'll make this - or a variation - at some point, I'm sure. Mmmm!

  5. Yum! Now, of course, I've got to find an Indian market for the garam masala. Wishing you and D a lovely Christmas and a great New Year, too.

  6. Thanks Judith.

    Thanks Torwen.

  7. Thanks Suki.
    Oh make it like this for your husband, he may surprise himself and actually enjoy it. The chickpeas here are very meaty in texture! If not, I do hope you enjoy it - all for yourself.

    Thanks e.
    Lots of recipes on the internet - if you have all the spices you can make it yourself, but if not - may be cheaper to buy some. Keep it stoed in a glass jar away from light - it will keep better.
    wishing you a good Christmas and a wondeerful New Year, too.

  8. Mmmm. This looks delicious!

  9. looks delicious and ... spicy! I will try it!

  10. Thank you herbivorsconfessions


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You