Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Carrot and Coriander Soup

The snow here has begun to melt away.  I am glad of it, but I know some little kids down the road are wishing for a snowy Christmas. For them I hope a few snowflakes fall, but that's it. I don't want it to snow heavy, so that they can build snowmen, throw snowballs and go sledging. Yeah I must be getting old!

Anyway, for those of you who have been reading my blog for a while, will know that I have a tendency to roll with an ingredient or vegetable.  So please be forewarned the next few days will be filled with carroty goodness in various guises.  Yesterday to get the ball rolling, it was a Carrot and Thyme Flan.  Today its simply a soup.  Carrot and Coriander to be more precise.  I know most people have there version of Carrot and Coriander soup, this is my take on a well spun recipe.  You can blitz all the carrots if you wish, but I like to have a bit of texture, so tend to keep some back for bite.
I hope you will enjoy this soup, but I would like to add that this carrot soup recipe is open to your interpretation.  If you don't like the taste of coriander, you can stir in a different herb towards the end.  Both parsley and thyme would work well. If you don't fancy fresh herbs full stop, perhaps a little bit of spice - ginger, nutmeg or maybe even a little cayenne.  Go on, ring the changes and make this Your Carrot Soup.

Carrot and Coriander Soup
Serves 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
500g  carrots, peeled
 - 400g roughly chopped
 - 100g grated

 1½ pint vegetable stock
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, minced
Salt to taste

In a wide pan,  heat the oil then stir in the onions and garlic, sauté until soft. Then add in the chopped carrots, the stock and simmer on medium heat until the carrots are really tender.  Turn off the heat, when cool, purée in a food processor.  Then return to the pot and stir in the grated carrots, fresh coriander and salt to taste, simmer for a few minutes before serving.


  1. Merry Christmas to you and your readers, I'm just stopping by new blogs that i think are interesting. And then ill put some of those on my favorites list to visit again. Happy holidays folks and wishing everyone a healthy new years as well. Richard from a Amish community in Pennsylvania.

  2. A heartwarming dish. And lovely photos.

  3. Hello!
    Thank you for visiting my blog today; what a pleasant surprise to land here and go ahhh then YUM. I grow a lot of fresh herbs and veggies. wish you were closer, I would share my bounty with you!
    Please come back again; I will certain be back here.
    Blessings to you and yours for a Merry and totally Happy Christmas.

  4. Hi Shaheen: I love soup, if it is orange, better! But here we have 32°, seems we are in the oven. So hot! I like to remember what was to live with less 20° of temperature.


  5. Both my husband and I are big fans of coriander. Actually, here in the United States, the seeds are called "coriander" and the leaves are "cilantro." Well, we like both, no matter what they're called! Guacamole just isn't right without a good amount of cilantro.

  6. The soup looks absolutley delicious. I love a good carrot soup. I usually eat coriander dried, but I'll take any fresh I can get in the winter :)

  7. Carrot soup kinda looks like squash soup. Only I'm imagining it would be a bit sweeter and soupier? Very intriguing!

  8. Thank you so much richard from Amish Stories.
    Its a genuine pleasure to make your acuaintance albeit through the internet.

    I'd like to wish you a Merry Christmas too.
    It would be nice if you put my blog on the list, but that will be your choice.

    Thank you Cookie Jar.

    Thank you StephenC.

    Thank you for repaying the compliment Blondie.
    Its nice to meet a fellow blogger who likes to grow fresh herbs and veggies. Oh I am wishing I lived closer to you too, I'd be happy share your veggie bounty - I'd be happy doing the cooking! I will def. return. Wishing you and yours for a Merry Christmas.

  9. Thank you Verónica.
    I'd be happy to swap places with you right now - I am not liking the cold, only because its been pretty cold all year this time. We hardly saw a Summer in Scotland. With love x

    Thanks Lauren.
    My husband will eat coriander/cilantro, but he's not mad about it like I am. I grew up eating coriander loads when a child, it was the compusory herb in the house.
    I agree good guacomole has to be made with cilantro! its not the same without.

    Thank you foodfeud. It so nice to hear from you :)

    Thanks JavelinWarrior.
    Yes your comparison is right!

  10. Love the idea of coriander with carrot. It must "rock" the carrot. Love it!

  11. Wow, that's it?! How easy!

    Also happen to love coriander. Thanks for the recipe.

  12. Thanks Clair.
    Yes, pretty easy and easy to eat :)

  13. The old favourites are old favourites simply because they are the best! I'd replace the Coriander with a mix of cumin and parsley, I think, because I'm allergic to Coriander.

  14. I have just bought a 'tin' of this soup! Shock, horror!!

    Yours looks so much more appetising though, Shaheen. I'll give it a go, thanks for posting.

  15. Hi Mark,
    I understand about the coriander. My brothers detests the stuff, me I LOVE it.

    Oh Chris,
    That's okay -a tin now and again that it :)
    But homemade is best that's for sure.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You