Friday, 2 December 2011

Chilean Stew with Corn and Beans

What I love about cooking ethnically diverse and world wide cuisines is that I always learn something new, not just about the culture, country and its people, but about certain ingredients that I would otherwise not see or hear of.   Recently, I have been introduced to Calabaza squash, anasazi beans and pebre - a Chilean sauce.
This Chilean Stew which I am told is known as 'porotos granados' is recommended to be made with a Calabaza also known as West Indian Pumpkin.  Calabaza is popular through the Caribbean and South America.  There is an Afro-Caribbean grocers in Glasgow - Sollys African Village in the west end and I could have gone there and checked out there colourful selection of pumpkins and squashes, but I read that the flavour was similar to both acorn squash (and butternut squash), so that is what I have substituted here.   Acorn squash like carrots is rich in beta-carotene.  Another ingredient that was recommended was anasazi beans.  I have never seen them in my life, let alone heard of them.  These are apparently small purple and white kidney shaped bean from the same family as the pinto bean, so you can guess what I used for the recipe. And all these modifications still made for a good hearty stew.  Despite the large amount of paprika doused in this, this is not an overly spicy stew, not like Vegetarian Chillis!

Chileans like to serve this stew with a spicy herby pepper sauce called pebre. Well I have no pebre, in place of it though I made some salsa instead.  I wonder what my fellow blogger Chilean Woman will think of this recipe?!

UPDATE:  Ah I requested and Chilean Woman was happy to oblige.  Here is a link to her authentic Chilean Porotos Granados - go on, you must check it out!   And finally, I don't know how I missed it but my good friend Little Black Fox also made this dish - see here.
Thanks to Johanna at Green Gourmet Giraffe for introducing me, this is my first contribution to Ricki at Diet, Dessert, Dogs for her Wellness Weekend: 1-5th December
Chilean Stew with Corn and  Beans
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1½ tablespoons paprika
4 large tomatoes, cored and diced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
300g onion squash, peel and chopped into bite size cubes
1 x 400g tinned Pinto beans, or freshly cooked
150g corn kernels, fresh, frozen or canned
Method
In a large saucepan, heat the oil and add the onions and garlic and sauté until soft,  Then stir in the paprika and sauté for a couple of minutes before adding in the tomatoes and the rest of the seasoning.  Cook for about 10 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.  Add the beans,, stock and squash and cook for 20 minutes until the squash is tender.  Stir in the corn and simmer for a few minutes more.  Serve with rice.  Adapted from Lean Bean Cuisine by Jay Solomon.

21 comments:

  1. Thank heavens I have a metric conversion site in my "favorites" list. I'm just kidding. This is the kind of dish I crave as winter approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything about Chilean food but this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love that, Shaheen. I'd have to make a few corn tortillas to go with it... Oh, and I'd use Chipotle chilli instead of the paprika - I just LOVE Chipotle. It has such a rich smoky taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tasted something very similar to this at Harvest festival cooked by Hugh Fearnley Whittinghstall - he called it porotos granados and it was delicious! I will try your version as well with the unidentified squash in my veg box...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks intersting. The only thing I'm missing is the pinto beans. I could try kidney beans instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really delicious! Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you have discovered wellness weekends - am sure you will have lots of great dishes to contribute to ricki's event - love this dish - must ask my chilean colleague about pebre

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stew sounds wonderful! I've never heard of calabaza either, so I'm sure I'd be making it with butternut instead as well. I absolutely love spicy foods, so I know I'd enjoy this! Thanks so much for submitting to Wellness Weekend this week! (and welcome!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! This is similar to another vegetarian dish I have made in the past. I'll give this a try. I hope you're keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Shaheen,

    This look slike a wonderful, hearty stew! I love how you subbed so many ingredients, although I have to tell you that anasazi beans are so much better than plain old pintos. :) I have only found them, though when travelling to the US, though. They sell them on Amazon through Bob's Mill.. but sadly, don't ship to Canada. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love corn in my chile! I'll have to try your recipe, my family is growing tired of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks StephenC :)
    Ah your not the first to mention conversions.


    Thank you Corina.
    Nor me, I am learning though when I can.


    Thanks Mark Willis.
    Corn tortillas with it be good, I have some left over and am actually goign to put them in a puff pastry for lunch today - like a pasty.
    I should have mentioned, i dont think this is meant to be a hot stew, like chilli but milk. But if you add Chipotle to yours that is still fine and it will become something else, enjoyable none the less. I like chipotle too, down to my last chipotle chilli :(


    Thank Freya G.
    Yes, I just googled it and your right, it does look like the same dish, perhaps porotos granados is its proper name!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Cookie Jar.
    Had i not had pinto beans, I too would have subbed it with kidney beans, soplease do.
    I hope you enjoy.


    Thank you Teena Mary.
    :)


    Thank you so much Johanna GGG.
    I hope so too, please do ask your Chilean colleague about pebre and this dish, I would be interested to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Ricki.
    For your lovely comment and the warm welcome.
    :D


    Thank you e
    x
    I hope you give it a try, its not particularly spicy. I am plodding on with life, receiving lots of job rejection letters (but at least I guess I am getting a response eh) I will write a brief update of the situation in the nx few days or so, as always thank you so much for asking.


    Thank you Janet.
    It is a hearty stew :)
    Should I find myself in the states Iwill pick me up some dried anasazi beans :) If Bob's Mill don't ship to Canada, its unlikely that they will to the U.K, so its on a USA holiday wish and shop list. :(


    Thank you Ajax.
    Please do try this, its not hot at all, so good for growing kids!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous looking stew and one that we would love in our household!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love searching out new ingredients and learning more about them, too.
    Your stew looks very inviting :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love anything with pumpkin - so this could be a hit with my vegetarians also. Pebre - could tabasco be substituted?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh! Porotos granados are my favorite! The 'Granado' term comes from having the food taste like it's from the country where the key ingredients are corn and basil. This is a really delicious recipe, but I would looooove to share one that's authentic as they come.

    I shall do a post on my blog now, just for you o.k.?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much Chilean Woman.
    Please do share, I want to learn more and see authentic recipes. If I can recreate it at home, then I will do so next year. If you post it (especially for me - I am so chuffed!), I will link it from here too x

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You