Sunday, 18 December 2011

Spicy Edamame

Edamame beans are often visually described as a cross between garden peas and broad beans.  These legumes are actually young tender soy beans often imported from Japan and served as nibbles at Japanese restaurants.  

In the past couple of year, non GM soy beans grown in the U.K are beginning to appear at some supermarkets and greengrocers.  However, those that are available fresh are often sold at a premium, either because the product is marketed as the new super food or a new celebrity diet food fad.   Regardless, I was still curious to try soy beans, so I picked up a packet in the frozen food aisle at the supermarket.  D looked at me and said 'you better make sure you use them all'.  Well I am pleased to say that the packet is now officially empty.  I've managed to make four different dishes from the packet: sesame soba noodles; yellow curry cabbage with mushrooms; vegan Vancouver Japadog-Style Hot Dogs (still to be typed up and posted); and finally these Spicy Edamame.
I bookmarked this recipe from Torwens blog last month for a couple of reasons, the first it was another recipe to use up the edamame beans in my freezer, secondly it looked quite good to me.  He also showcased this dish as being healthy, something I am lazy at - so I thought why not give it a try?!. It was rather good, we had it for brunch this morning over toasted bread.  These spicy edamame beans with tomatoes, gives 'beans on toast' a new meaning.

Torwen calls his dish Curry Fried Edamame with Tomatoes.  I've made some minor tweaks only because I had no spring onions in my fridge.  Also the garam masala I have contains cumin and coriander seeds, so I omitted these from my recipe.  As for the fresh tomatoes I used tinned tomatoes.   Therefore, I think its somewhat poetic that I am sharing this dish with Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes who is hosting Decembers edition of Bookmarked Recipes:  a monthly blog event initiated by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments; as well as  Kiran at Sumadhura  who is hosting this months My Legume Love Affair #42, a popular bean-centric event created by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook. 

Spicy Edamame 
Serves 2
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 shallots, sliced
1 teaspoon garam masala

½ teaspoon chilli flakes
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 piece of fresh ginger, grated
200g tinned tomatoes
200g edamame beans (fresh or frozen)
salt to taste
Method Heat the olive oil in a wide pan and the shallots, sauté until tender.  Then stir in the spices and ginger until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and cook on medium heat until thickened, then stir in the edamame beans to heat through and cook until tender.  Serve immediately over rice or crusty or toasted bread.

19 comments:

  1. oooh! what a clever way to re-invent the edemame dish! usually it's salt, butter, maybe some onion and lemons..but this is a whole new take. you are such a smart, and crafty little lady.

    ps. i appreciate you bringing up the GM issue around soy beans... unfortunately it's true for our side of the pond as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love edamame beans but have only ever had them straight from the pod and relatively plain. I like the way you've used them here; I shall be tucking this away to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that dish looks good...i normally eat edamame at a japanese sushi restaurant & they normally steamed it instead of cooking it like this dish in ur post...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm they look good. I keep meaning to get some myself to add a bit of variety to beans we use to pep up casseroles etc. Thanks for the reminder and once the baby's here and the heartburn is not I may even try out your spicy version of beans on toast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kristy Lynn.
    Ah you made me smile with 'you are such a smart, and crafty little lady'. I feel my little ego growing.


    Thanks Kari.
    I've never had them straight from the pod :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you HangKebon.
    :)


    Thanks Nic.
    OOoh sorry to read about the heartburn.I tend o suffer from heartburn when I visit my parents, with their constant spicy offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I first started to read this I thought I don't know this name edamame, but I have actually had them as nibbles before the miso soup in a Japanese restaurant I go to. They serve them straight from the pod. Lovely. Will have to look out for them in my supermarket too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Magnolia,
    I don't know if this is the beans real name in Japan, but it is def. being marketed here by this name as it sounds so much more fancier than soy beans I guess.

    I'd love to try them as you've described :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum yum yum. I've only ever eaten edamame steamed with salt. I just love them as a snack. But they're such a good protein source, it's probably worth branching out a bit. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Clair.
    I'll have to try cooking them simply :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only had edamame at a sushi restaurant and have never attempted to make it at home. The whole genetically-modified thing really weirds me out, so I try to stay away from GM products! Here in the United States, genetically-modified products don't even have to be labeled, so I tend to stay away from anything I know could be genetically modified unless it specifically states it isn't or is labeled organic (which can't be a GMO). So--if I can get my hands on some non-GMO edamame, I'll have to give this a try! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only had edamame at a sushi restaurant and have never attempted to make it at home. The whole genetically-modified thing really weirds me out, so I try to stay away from GM products! Hi Lauren,
    Its getting like that in the UK. GM food is not labelled.

    Its one of the reasons I started growing my own, as it was also affordable. Sadly, not having much income these days or an allotment plot, I have to make decisions on what I can afford, organic is a luxury. But I do my utmost where I can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, I really like your blog! I'm trying to grow my own vegetables and I think that much more people should do it.
    A presto!
    See you soon!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so, so much Sara.
    Good luck with your veg growing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds interesting - I have enjoyed some at a local japanese shop and finally seen the light - have bought some frozen but am yet to work out how to use them so this sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your version ... nice and spicy :)
    I buy organic edamame, so I can be sure it is not genetically manipulated (well, this is apart from possible black sheep in the industry :( but I hope there aren't that many)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Torwen :)
    I grow organic and buy organic when I can afford it, but since losing my job - decisions are made to live within my means, so its not all organic these days, but that is the reality for lots of people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love edamame, but i've only ate it as is - they're available frozen in some shops here, so easy to heat, peel and eat - sprinkled on different salad-ish dishes. i'll be sure to bookmark your different dishes and try them out some day! (all i do is bookmark good food in different blogs, rarely do try them, perhaps one should print them out and put them in a recipe binder visible in kicthen instead?)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You