Thursday, 15 December 2011

Orange 'Jaffa' Brownies

Remember those Almond Brownies I made last week, well yes they didn't even last the weekend.  I made and photographed these Orange Jaffa Brownies early this afternoon.  The flat still zinging with the scent of chocolate and fresh oranges.

These Jaffa Brownies are very different from the Orange Brownies I made this time last year .  Those Orange Brownies were made with a orange flavoured chocolate.  These however are made with a real juicy orange.

These Brownies are  truly squidgy between the fingers and once in your mouth you will be greeted with a fresh citrus wake up punch (or kiss) from both the orange juice and zest. D said it tasted better than those foil wrapped chocolate orange segments that you see around the seasonal holidays.

Anyway, all these rich chocolate treats are starting to show on my body - you know what they say 'a moment on the lips, a long time on the hips'... something like that.  I swear I am going to start looking like a chocolate brownie and D: a white chocolate luscious Blondie! I am not kidding he has had three, yes three in one sitting.  
D is holding onto the brownie tin pretty tightly and is resenting that I am sharing some of these brownies at this months We Should Cocoa Challenge.  Then it dawned on him that its being shared virtually in blogosphere!.   Decembers theme is 'Oranges'.  We Should Cocoa is alternately hosted by Choclette of Chocolate Log Blog and Chele of The Chocolate Teapot.  

Updated: January 2012: I absolutely love it when fellow bloggers cook or bake a recipe from my blog, there is something just so warming about it.  Jo of Through the Keyhole made these Orange Brownies, check it out here, and so has fellow blogger The Cookie Jar - see them here.  You will have to agree they look delicious!

Orange Jaffa Brownies
Makes 1 x 8 inch square tin, cut about 9, even more if you cut them into smaller bites!

100g butter
75g dark chocolate
150g caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Zest of 1 orange
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
75g plain flour

Preheat oven to gas mark 5.
Line an 8 inch square tin with baking paper or grease well.

Melt the chocolate, butter and sugar in a bain marie (or a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water). Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little, then stir in the eggs, orange zest and juice until combined. Sift in the flour and fold in gently.
Spread mixture into prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is firm to touch.
Set aside to cool before slicing.


  1. Oh I know what you're talking about. Why do all the good things have to be so fattening?? :)

  2. Orange brownies a perfect combination.

  3. I love the smell of oranges in a kitchen; I think it's why I always look forward to making marmalade when the Sevilles are around. These look lovely - I don't think I'd find three in one sitting any problem at all.

  4. Oh my there's something about and orange and chocolate that is superb... isn't it? ;)
    I'm so inspired to bake now ;)

  5. Lead me not into temptation! I can almost taste the chocolatey-orange goodness--definitely one of my all-time favorite flavor combinations.

  6. I love this combination :))
    This is going to be my weekend treat :)

  7. Oh my gosh, they look so beautiful, chocolaty and juicy...I so want to eat them ... right now :)
    Wonderful contribution to the challenge!

  8. These look fantastic. They would also suit my partner brilliantly - he is a big fan of chocolate orange products. I think I'll be tucking this away to try!

  9. Ohh, yummy! This is so funny, because I'm refining a chocolate orange cookie recipe at the moment. To me, it's the best flavor combo of the season!

  10. These look wonderful. My partner loves chocolate and orange combinations so they'd go down very well with him too. I think this will be a recipe to try!

  11. I want to eat them! They look lovely! I'll have to try some orange in my vegan brownie recipe!

  12. Thanks Lela.
    Yeah why are all the good things have to be so fattening? :)

    Thanks Magnolia.

    Thanks Scented Sweetpeas.

    Thanks Phil.
    Oooh i've never made marmalade.
    If my husband can eat three in one sitting, I have faith that you will have no problem at all.

    Than you ella.
    Yes i so agree: orange and chocolate together - yum ;)
    I hope you get to make these.

    Oops sorry Lauren.
    Go on have one :)

  13. Thank you so so much Tina V.

    Thank you Torwen.
    I still have some to share, you better get here quick or they'll be gone in a blink of an eye.

    Thank you Kari.
    You should make them for him sometime, i bet he'll eat three in one sitting too

    Thank you Clair.
    I hope that recipe your refining meets your expectations!

    Thanks Again Kari - I think you secretly like chocolate :)

    Thank you Sooz.
    I hope you get to make a vegan version of these!

  14. The brownies look beautiful, but I guess I am alone in my aversion to chocolate combined with orange (or any fruit really). I just prefer my chocolate "straight up" or maybe with peanut butter or white chocolate. These are gorgeous though, and I like the way you included a sliced orange in the photographs.

  15. Wow, this looks wonderful. Such a great flavor combination!

  16. I'm definitely going to have a go at these. My son is a brownie fiend and loves chocolate oranges so I'm sure he'll be a fan of these.

  17. Thank you Miss Rachel.
    I have to admit, I prefer nuts in my brownies than fruit - but I do like to experiment.

    Thank you Ambreen.

    Thanks Jo.
    I hope you do and your son enjoys them.
    Big question is will he eat 3 in one sitting ? :)

  18. Thank you so much Vintage Jane.

  19. Te ha quedado prefecto una delicia,abrazos hugs,hugs.

  20. Thank you Rosita.
    It so good to hear from you x

  21. oooo made my mouth water just looking at this post!

  22. My Hero, Something that is better than a chocolate orange. My favourite Christmas treat.

    3 in 1 sitting would not be a problem.

  23. Wow, dark chocolate and orange - these sound crazy good. And they look sooo rich... Nom nom

  24. Yet another combination I've yet to try and like. I don't think much of citrus+chocolate combinations, and I have no idea why since they're each lovely on their own. But your brownies look yummy, so spank me please, and tell me to try them!

  25. Thanks ms.composure.

    Thank you Cookie Jar.
    Yes that what he said' better than a chocolate orange'. And yes 3 in 1 sitting - I struggle with 1 so rich.
    :) But if your a chocoholic then I guess no problem.

    Thanks JavelinWarrior.
    They are really sooo rich.

    Thank you Sumaiyyah.
    I am telling, no I am instructing you to make these very soon - make sure you have the right size baking tin :)

  26. MMMMM,...Orange & organge juice are a perfect addition to these tasty chocolate brownies!

    I think a bit of Grand Marnier added would be also very tasty to enhance the orange taste even better! Yum! ;)

  27. Thanks Sophie.
    Ooh Grand arnier would be good, yeah - I just don't have any at home - so it had to be the natural and sobering stuff this time :0)

  28. If I get around to making them, I'll definitely tell you :)

  29. Thanks Sumaiyyah.
    There will still be many more brownie recipes here to drool over, if you don't get round to making these :)

  30. Well I'm so glad D allowed you to share some of his brownies with us ;-) You've made them sound so delicious with all that zingyness and citrus punch. Thank you for playing. And wishing you all the best for 2012 - very much hoping it will be a better year for you than this one.

  31. Thanks Choclette.
    Wishing you a Happy New Year too.

  32. I've just returned to this post to pass the link on to someone else, Shaheen, and I've noticed that you've put a link to my blog, just wanted to say thank you. I think I'm due to make these again soon.

    1. Your so welcome Jo.
      I'd like to make them again too, this time for nephews and nieces. I think they will love them.

  33. Jo is still passing the link on... These are on my list of must makes. They sound delicious and I bet they smell divine!

  34. It took me 2 years (and I just noticed I left two comments above! perhaps I thought my first one didn't go) but I finally made these for Mother's Day here in Australia today. They were fantastic and everyone loved them :)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You