Friday, 30 December 2011

Spicy Tomato - Mushrooms on Toast

Another take on mushrooms on toast. 

Yes its simply spiced up with tomatoes and makes for good hearty lunch, also a way to use up those tired looking mushrooms hiding at the bottom of the fridge.
You can choose to eat this a number of ways with: naan bread, stuffed in pitta breads, even with rice - but an hour or so ago, we had it for brunch simply spooned over toasted slices of stale bread. 

Hey sometimes stale bread can benefit from being toasted.  Some people would make croutons or even bread and butter pudding.  I would too, but my husband is not keen on Bread and Butter Pudding.   What he doesn't know though is I am planning to make some next year, if he won't eat it I  know plenty of nephews and nieces who will lap it up. 

By the way this is my 1111th blog post.  Wow I am pretty amazed with myself - its quite an achievement.  I would do something celebratory about it, like a small give-away but this will have to wait until next year now, when I have moved and settled into my new abode.
I am linking this recipe to Mom Trends for this weeks Friday Food and Recipe Linky.
Spicy Tomatoey Mushrooms
Serves 2
Ingredients
60g butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
1- 1 ½ teaspoon chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ inch ginger, grated
Salt to taste
200g tinned tomatoes, chopped
300g – 340g mushroom, sliced in half
Optional: fresh parsley or coriander, minced
Method
Heat the butter and oil in a wide pan over a medium heat under very soft, then add in the spices, garlic and ginger and cook for a couple of minutes for the spices to infuse the caramelised onions. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook on medium heat until it begins to thicken..  Stir from time to time to prevent the sauce from sticking to the pan. When the tomato sauce is quite thick, stir in the mushrooms and  cook until your heart desires.  I like my mushrooms to still have some bite, but I know some some like them cooked down a lot.  When cooked to your satisfaction, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, stir in the herb if using and serve immediately.

15 comments:

  1. Ooh that looks delicious and more importantly, easy! Will give it a try. Thanks for visiting my blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my blog and I'm so lucky to have discovered yours....yummy yum yum or what! I shall definately be trying a few of these recipes. Are you moving to Wales? or am I being too nosey!! Happy New Year and new beginnings by the sound of it Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will I live long enough to match your cumulative blog total? One can only hope. You are fun to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 1111th Blog post, how lucky are we....most of them have contained a recipe, you really should start compiling them into a cook book, I know quie a few folk who would buy it....me for one!

    Happy New Year.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely and delicious.Do send it to lets cook for christmas red/ green event@ simply.food

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the mushroom tomato combo! Happy new year! :)
    -
    Kavi
    (Edible Entertainment)
    Ongoing events:
    Jingle All The Way &
    Microwave Easy Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so, so much Actually Mummy.
    Lots of the recipes you'll find here should be easy and as I like to think, homely too - its real food I like to eat and share :)


    Thank you so so much Suzy of Rustic Vintage Country. Your comment is really heart warming.
    Yes I am moving to Wales - hopefully by the end of January. Off tomorrow to check out the property that we will be renting for the next year or so. Def. looking forward to new beginnings x


    Thanks StephenC.
    Of course you will. Enjoy your blog break.



    Thank you soooooo much Sue.
    Oh I am so touched and humbled that you write
    'how lucky are we' Yes your right most of them have contained a recipe - I am hoping nex year will allow me to get back to what was the reason for this blogging - growing too!
    Thank you for your faith in me regarding a book, guess what I have actually compiled a book - next year I will make more of an effort to send it to publishers. Happy New Year to you Sue and yours truly xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the invitation simply.food. I am just e mailing your right now.


    Thanks Kavi.
    Happy new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great, a real antidote to the Christmas excesses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just gave this post a shout-out link on my blog:
    http://www.actuallymummy.co.uk/2011/12/31/how-to-celebrate-new-years-eve-with-kids/

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!! This looks sooooo delish!! I do love mushrooms... and I love the cozy comfort of anything served over toast! :-)

    Thank you so much for your beautiful comment! I am always so grateful for your thoughtful comments... I'm so glad we're "blog friends!" :-)

    Happy New Year!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shaheen... I just made this for breakfast today.. It tasted really good. The only thing I did differently was I added a small cube of Palm sugar to cut into the sourness of the tomatoes (I used fresh)and left out mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you a very Happy New Year, filled with loads of happiness, good health and wonderful blessings. May all your wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank Sri,
    Nice to know the recipe worked well without the mushrooms. I don't often cook with palm sugar.


    Thank you Anzz.
    Happy New year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks and sounds delicious. I'm on a spicy kick right now (and have some vindaloo leftovers for later - yay). Everything looks great. Congrats on 1111. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You