Tuesday, 13 December 2011

Garlic-Chilli-Spiked Cauliflower Pasta

This simple, swift and frugal pasta dish is not that different from the Red Chilli Spiced Brussels Sprouts I made last month.  The main difference with this one is the vegetable - cauliflower.  

As a person who does not enjoy cauliflower (and Brussels sprouts) I actually enjoyed this.  I liked how the garlicky-chilli oil infused the cauliflower.  This Cauliflower Pasta is also good cold for lunch, but at this time of year I think I'd prefer it warm.   
If you click on the picture above, you will note amongst the fussili pasta and the florets that I also like to use the core of the cauliflower. Its actually my favourite part of the cauliflower. It never ever goes into the compost bin. I often chop it into cubes and add it into whatever I am cooking. 
I am sharing this simple pasta dish with Presto Pasta Nights . PPN was founded by Ruth Daniels of Once Upon a Feast and this week PPN #244 is being hosted by Rachel of The Crispy Cook.
Garlic Chilli Spiked Cauliflower Pasta
Serves 2
Ingredients
Cook penne or fusilli pasta for 2 people.

Par-cook about 1/2 cauliflower: florets:  either boil or steam, then set aside.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a wide pan, then add in about 1-2 minced garlic along with chilli flakes to taste (or 2 fresh red chillies, minced) and saute slowly stirring occasionally.  Then add in par-cooked florets. Cook on medium-low heat until the flavours have infused and just beginning to turn  golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in the drained, cooked pasta, drizzle with extra olive oil.  Garnish with optional minced parsley and serve immediately.

26 comments:

  1. How interesting and I'm always looking for ideas for cauliflower (and broccoli), so I'll be trying this one. And I also detest brussel sprouts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JavelinWarrior.
    This is quite good. One I will make again too.
    Brussels sprouts - yeah...You either love them or hate them, these days i have to admit, I am kinda sitting on the fence, because I have realised its how you cook them that can make a big difference to its appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take garlic-spiked anything. Yum yum. Thanks for sending this over to Presto Pasta Nights this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have thought of putting cauliflower with pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Rachel.


    Cookie Jar - it really works. Quite nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favourite combinations . . . very Italian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely way of cooking cauliflower, delicious with a bit of toasted breadcrumbs on top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love cauliflower -- this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For how long did you par cook the cauliflower. I will only see your answer at scrout1944@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a delicious recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love anything with garlic! This is a really yummy looking dish! :)
    -
    Kavi
    (Edible Entertainment)
    Ongoing events:
    Jingle All The Way &
    Microwave Easy Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eee, Tom Waits & Cauliflower - what a glorious, if unexpected - combination! Cauliflower & Brussel sprouts are vegetables I came to quite late, I didn't start to like them until I turned 30 (I'm still waiting for my tastes buds to regard raw tomato & liquorice with anything other than horror, but that may take a while longer!), when I tried roasting them, which is very tasty!
    Much love, dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shaheen I love you so much for posting this recipe... I just had it for dinner with my sister. V loved it so much that we as good as licked our plates at the end of the meal. Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Sara.
    Good to hear from you. Wishing you seasonal greetings.


    Hi StephenC - I steamed it about 8 - 10 minutes, until I could get a knife through it without too much effort.


    Thank you Teena Mary.
    :)


    Thanks Kavi.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you littleblackfox.
    You have to blame D for the combo!

    I am surprised that your not keen on
    raw tomatoes, thats what I love about them.
    With love, dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow twisted vine - you were super quick to make this :)
    Gosh I am so pleased that it went down well with you and your sister. Thank you so much for letting me know, it really pleases me to read that someone has made a recipe of mine and moreso enjoyed it - Yay xx

    Thank you to you and your sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Invitingly delish Pasta Dear,Luv it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a fantastic combination of flavours- I love the way that chilli kicks along the beige comfort of cauliflower. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey now, there's nothing wrong with a little (or a lot) of cauliflower.

    i. love. cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Tori.
    I hop eyou like!


    Thank you so much Emily.


    :) Kristy Lynn - it so hard to like a vegetable that looks like a brain, but I am trying.
    I'm pleased that you 'love. cauliflower', but some of us, and I am talkign abotu me, still need a bit more persuading x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've come to love cauliflower in the last few years and you're right - never forget the core. This is a great way to eat it - especially while huddled in the brake lights of a '58 Bel Air.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice combination and I will use the cauliflower stem next time, too. I do so with broccoli, but curiously I always discarded the stem of cauliflower. Why indeed waste it?
    I also love that this recipe is so versatile, you can really use all kind of veggies and it will still taste good :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Phil.
    So good to read that you agree about the core. MMm you lost me a bit with the 'huddled in the brake lights of a '58 Bel Air' - but that maybe because I am not that well travelled.


    thanks Torwen.
    Ooh I do it with broccoli too, its my fave part of that bushy head veg.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen