Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Almond Chocolate Brownies

I've mentioned on my blog before that I am not one for chocolate.  Don't get me wrong, if you presented me with a box of chocolates I would happily accept them, but the truth is it would be for my husband - the chocoholic.  Many of the chocolate recipes that have appeared on my blog are because of his sweet tooth. 

I have to admit though, that the last couple of days I have been wanting to  sink my gnashers  into some deeply rich brownies.   So no more imagining or thinking  about it, I got to work on these indulgent bites.
I don't think it was just me wanting them, look at Owly getting more than an eye full.   Mmm I don't know if I want to share them, but I may have no choice. 
I can foresee these not lasting the weekend.
For a contrast in textures, these dense and chewy chocolate brownies are embedded with a scattering of flaked almonds.

Chocolate Almond Brownies
Makes 1 x 8 inch square tin (About 6 - 9 pieces)
140g dark chocolate

55g unsalted butter
2 medium eggs
170g dark soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
85g plain flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt
25g flaked almonds for the topping
Heat oven to Gas Mark 4.
Melt the chocolate, butter and sugar in a
bain marie (or a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water). Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little, then beat in the eggs.
Stir in the sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Pour into the tin.  Sprinkle the flaked almonds over evenly.  Bake on middle shelf for 30 – 35  minutes, until springy in the centre but firm around the edges. Allow to cool in tin before slicing up and serving.  Adapted very slightly from  Gaia’s Kitchen by Julia Ponsonby and friends at Schumacher College


  1. Oh that owl!!! Your photos still continue surprising me with their awesomeness. :D

  2. OMG! these look wonderful! I'll adapt the recipe without the eggs. Any idea what substitutes I could use here?

    If possible, please go through the rules of my event > Jingle All The Way and link your post there.
    Kavi (Edible Entertainment)

  3. How am I ment to think about dinner when all I can think about is brownies.

  4. The owl would have to go hungry if they were my brownies. They look very delicious.

  5. Last the weekend? I'd be surprised if they lasted the day!

  6. almond and chocolate are two of my very most favorite food combinations. like you, don't ordinarily have much of a sweet-tooth (with the exception of this week. i can't get enough of the stuff!).... but i'd totally mow this :)

  7. These look fantastic! I'm going to come back soon to peruse all of your recipes!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog!
    ~ joey ~

  8. I'm a great fan of chocolate brownies, so this recipe appeals to me a lot!

  9. By the look in that Owl's eyes, he's a serious chocoholic!!!

    These look amazing brownies Shaheen.

    For some weird and wonderful challenge I decided not to eat chocolate until Christmas Eve {argh...what a fool I am}

    My chocolate intake was increasing alarmingly so drastic measures were called for. But these babies are definitely going to be on my list. ;D

  10. Thank you so much Lela.
    I am hoping they will get even better when I move down to Wales. Better natural lighting for a start :D

    Thank you Kavi.
    I am sure there is a way, check out some of the vegan sites.

    Oh I must apologise Cookie Jar.

    Guess what Kath.
    The owl went without a brownie - owls do not eat chocolate they eat the crumbs...

    Your right Marmaduke Scarlet.
    Its the evening and there are four left! Still time to disappear before midnight.

  11. I am so pleased you like these morsels Kristy.
    Don't tell anyone else, but I'll happily share one with you , if like me you only 'want' them now and again :)

    Thank you for coming by Joey and repaying the compliment.

    I am so delighted to read your comment Mark.
    I'm so pleased that these brownies appeal to you. Honestly, I know I am saying I wouldn't share here, but deep down I know I would have.

    Thank you Bridget.
    The owl taunts me, honestly. Its there when I wake up staring at me, and there when I go to bed - yes, it near my bed!

    Hi Neesie Natters.
    Yes the owl is a serious chocoholic - he was brought home by my husband, so it kinds make sense!

    Oh I can understand your commitment for abstaining from Chocolate until Christmas Eve - I do admire that conviction and wish you well as I can imagine it is not easy to do.


  12. Love brownies and that owl is super cute. I dont think these would last a day in my place!

  13. Hi thanks for stopping by my give away, those brownies look so good.

  14. Oh this is dangerous. It is so good I can finish it all by myself.

  15. Gorgeous brownies. I love the almond slices on top too.

  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog - appreciate the visit. Brownies are one of my favorite desserts - the more chocolate the better! I cannot imagine my world without chocolate, although I don't normally crave a bar of chocolate... These brownies look delicious

  17. oohh scrum, they sound more healthy than my normal brownie recipe :-) x

  18. Thank you.
    All the brownies are gone, and its not even Friday. Teh owl didn't get any, he's podgy enough :)

    Thanks for coming by my blog greenthumb.

    Thank you Malay-Kadazan girl.
    I think it was evenly shared here.

  19. Thank you so, so much Angie's Recipes.
    The almond slithers were nice.

    Thank you so, so much JavelinWarrior, especially for repaying the compliment and coming by my space. A world without chocolate - where would we be?! Don't answer that :)

    Thank you Scented Sweetpeas.
    So lovely to hear from youand I do hope your doing much better now x Let me assure you that these are not healthy in the slightest, sweet and rich to boot!
    :-) x

  20. Oh! Thank you, i'm so excited (: it's the first comment in english on my blog (: thank you! I love brownies..

  21. Great blog Shaheen! Glad to have found you and thanks for stopping by Foodness Gracious!
    Take care

  22. hearty n irresistable version..
    happy following you shaheen..:)
    love to see you in my space too..
    Tasty Appetite

  23. Lately I haven't been able to eat any dairy (or soy) products due to breastfeeding my allergic bub. But just looking at your gorgeous pictures is enough for now. Delicious!

  24. These look irresistible! Bet they don't last the weekend.

  25. MMMMMMM,..I am just the opposite from you: I love, adore chocolate!

    Mr. Owl loves these too, I see! I agree! :)

  26. Those brownies look absolutely delicious! I love the almonds on top!

  27. Your welcome Silvia.

    Thank you Gerry

    Thank you Jay.

    Thank you Martta.
    I am sorry to read that you little one is allergic to some foods, that is a great shame.

  28. Thank you Magnolia Verandah.
    Yes they are all gone!

    Thank you Sophie.
    Yes owl is a fan, but he didn't get an :)

    Thank you Ruth.
    The almonds were quite nice

  29. Paul definitely likes chocolate more than I do, but I LOVE brownies. Can't resist. I actually don't think I've ever had them with almonds, though. Perhaps it's time to remedy that?

  30. Thank you Lauren.
    Almonds make a nice change for sure. I'd like to try them with dried cherries oneday too.

  31. My husband is a bit of chocoholic too! I have to admit I don't think I have made brownies from scratch! I am a very poor baker, but this looks simple enough. Cheers!!!!

  32. So good to hear from you Chilean Woman.
    Yes this recipe is quite simple, hope you get to try it x


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You