Wednesday, 21 December 2011

Fresh Ginger and Carrot Muffins

I know I should be making some darling gingerbread people or star and Christmas tree-shaped gingerbread biscuits this time of year. The truth is making sweet biscuits aka cookies from scratch has never been my strong point.  They always seem to lack bite and crunch.  It is something I hope to remedy next year when I move closer to family with children and will have plenty of time to experiment on willing human guinea pigs. 

Anyway, all this is way of saying that I ended up making some Carrot Muffins with a fresh grating of ginger.  You may think the fresh ginger would be overpowering, but actually its not.  It just gives a fresh clean taste. I should also point out that these are not very sweet.  These have just enough sweetness for what I think is a good breakfast cake!
The only thing about them that made me raise my eyebrows, was its rather odd shape.  Maybe I was a bit heavy-handed with the sifting of the flour, but upon baking they bloomed pointy upwards - looking more like acorns than chubby muffins.   Still they were nice to eat with a mug of coffee.   

Fresh Ginger and Carrot Muffins
Makes 9
260g plain flour
100g golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2   medium carrots, grated
200ml milk
2 eggs
60ml vegetable or olive oil
2 - 2½ tablespoons ginger, freshly grated
Preheat oven to gas mark 6.
Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl, then stir in the carrots and the wet ingredients.   Stir gently until combined.  Spoon into muffin cases and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Adapted from The Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. 


  1. They sound lovely - just my cup of tea!

  2. Love the lovely combination of flavours in these muffins.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family and best wishes for 2012.

  3. These muffins look delicious! I'm not a fan of ginger but sounds like it works well in this recipe. I think the shape looks like a nice homemade muffin :)

  4. Sounds like a great recipe. I am a big fan of ginger, so I liked this idea very much. Interesting about the pointy tops. I can't remember what my home-ec class in grade school would have said about that!

    I made your carrot-thyme flan. A nice recipe, very clean and fresh tasting. I was short on time so only wrote a simple blog post about it.

  5. Thank you affectioknit.

    Thank you so, so much Suki.

    Thanks Zoe.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family and best wishes for 2012 too :)

    Thanks Baking Addict.

  6. Thank ou RuckusButt.
    Yeah I'd be interested to kno what your home-ec class teacher would have said about the point top!

    Thank you for letting me know that you made the carrot-thyme flan. I am so pleased you made it and liked it. I will come on over. If its okay with you - I will link it from the original recipe on my blog too.
    Thank you so much for linking to my blogx

  7. I love ginger especially freshly grated. I have never thought to put fresh ginger in cakes though I have only used powdered. They are an unusual shape - maybe you could give them a new name....... acorn muffins or ginger pyramids - you could have a new thing going there!

  8. Thanks Magnolia.
    I love the name 'Ginger Pyramids' of course, why not :) I am thinking about adding some cystallised ginger to them next time, so yeah - will def. be stealing the name - thanks to you.

  9. carrot and ginger has a festive ring to it - and they are natural companions - plus I think some people spend a long time trying to get peaks on their muffins so I suspect you did something right

  10. Whatever I may have done right Johanna, I don't know if I'll do it again.

  11. I think they look great! I like that they are not too sweet - means you could add some jam?! Or even cheese and have them for breakfast!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You