Monday, 5 December 2011

Eating Apple and Blackberry Flapjacks

BBrrrr woke up to a sheet of snow this morning.  I don't think I will be venturing far.

Other than some golden juicy sultanas, I am all out of dried fruit.  So these weekend flapjacks had to be made with frozen blackberries from my freezer, that were foraged from somewhere or other on one of our country road drives.  I also had some blueberries harvested from the garden, but they are for next time I make flapjacks.  
I've had a number of comments on my blog, namely from American readers regarding flapjacks.  You see in the US flapjacks are pancakes.  Therefore I guess I should make it clear what I mean by flapjacks on my blog.    British flapjacks are similar to Breakfast Bars, Muesli Bars or even Granola Bars.  They are not exactly a biscuit or a cake, but a chewy bar usually made with oats and golden syrup.  I am also sharing this with Laura who is hosting the Penny Worthy Project.

Apple and Blackberry Flapjacks
Makes about 8
120g butter
4 tablespoons maple syrup or runny honey
75g golden caster sugar
240g rolled oats
1 eating apple, grated
Handful of blackberries(fresh or frozen).
Preheat oven to gas mark 6.  Line a small baking tray with greaseproof paper.  In a large saucepan, melt the butter, syrup (or honey) and sugar until it all melts.  Take of the heat, then stir in the oats and fruit evenly.  Using a spatula, carefully turn out into the baking tray and press down.  Place the tray in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until the sides are golden.  Remove from the oven and slice immediately.  Leave them in the tin, when completely cold, slice again and remove from the baking tray. 


  1. I'll be making these later, just what I need to give my Lovely Hubby to take to work tomorrow to stop him raiding the chocolate bar machine!

    He loves a good flapjack and believe it or not I've never thought of using some of my frozen fruit in them.

    Sue xx

  2. Yum. A very "portable" snack - ideal for one's lunchbox...

  3. Thanks Sue.
    When these are gone and they will be gone, I'll be making some more too.
    Your right it better than raiding the choc. bar machine - cheaper and healthier too!

    Thanks Mark.
    Certainly is and a slow energy releaser too - a bit like a banana :)

  4. the first thing I checked was there are no eggs in this recipe! :) And it sounds wonderful!!! :)
    If possible, do go through the rules of Jingle All The Way and link your post there.. :)

    Kavi (Edible Entertainment)
    Ongoing events:
    Jingle All The Way &
    Microwave Easy Cooking

  5. eXCELLENT Idea... I just love your blog!!

  6. Great recipe, it's simple and it looks delicious, i can't wait to try it:)

  7. Great idea I never thought of using frozen fruit in flapjacks. I will try this recipe out at the weekend, thank you :)

  8. Thank you for the invitation to join this event Kavi. But I will have to decline as your rules state mandatory use of logo. My blog is logo and advert free and I would like to keep it this way. I hope you undertand.

    Thank you Emily Malloy :)

  9. Thank you so much Greenorchid.
    Your comment really means a lot. Thank you x

    Thank you so, so much 1recette1minute.

    Thank you so, so much Nezumi.
    Its a great sub for when fresh are not in season. I hope you like it :)

  10. Those look wonderful, a great snack to have around.

  11. Yum yum yum! I love apples and blackberry's together. Gotta make these...

    I need a tasty snack handy whilst I read all the food blogs otherwise I end up nearly eating the tablecloth! ;D

  12. That's so funny Neesie.
    I know what you mean something handy to hand whilst reading food blogs. I sometimes find myself wishing and wanting to reach into the computer screen and snatch!

  13. These look great. I like the addition of the fruit.

  14. They look fabulous! I'll need a conversion chart but that should be easy enough online.

  15. These look great! I love how cultural differences can confuse people. We don't even have flapjacks (in any form) in Australia!

  16. Oooooh! SO beautiful!! These are flapjacks for me too, even here in the U.S! I know I'm in the minority over here, though... :-)

  17. OH yum I don't think I've ever eaten a flapjack!! Apple and blackberry together though in a crumble is divine so I'm sure these would be too...

  18. Thanks Baking Addict.

    Thank you Jeanne.
    I have a conversion chart in my side bar, but if that not suitable - your right should be easy enough to find online.

    Thanks JasmyneTea.

    Thank you Astra Libris.
    I remember you telling me before about the confusion and you knowing them as flapjacks,

    Thank you Mrs Bok.

  19. Wow! That looks fantastic. Dear Shaheen, I've shared few awards with you. Please come by and pick it up :)

    Coconut Cake & Awards

  20. Thanks for reminding me that I need to try my hand at making flapjacks! I've meant to ever since I found out about the British kind of flapjacks, but haven't gotten around to it.

  21. Lauren.
    You must do, they are great for breakfast.

  22. Ambreen,
    Congratulations so much on your awards, thoroughly deserved and Thank you so, so much for thinking of me and my humble blogging space. It is really most appreciated. Thank you.

  23. Love this cake! I believe I will make it with soy butter! Tks!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You