Thursday, 29 December 2011

Cumin-Roasted Root Vegetables with Pearl Barley

We are due to be driving down South on New Years eve.  This wasn't planned, but welcomed by both our families.  Our first stop will be with my parents in Wales.  Whilst there we will be checking out our new rental accommodation and signing the lease to move in etc.  After that, it onwards to D's mothers, then back up to Scotland to make plans of our official home move.  

In an effort to use up fresh vegetables left over from Christmas (minus the sprouts) I decided to roast some root vegetables and garlic  in cumin seeds.  The combining of the root veg with the pearl barley was quite accidental, as my Basmati rice and Brown rice containers are bordering on empty.  So it was between couscous, to which D wrinkled his face or pearl barley. which also didn't get a good reaction - but that wasn't to last as his first mouthful saw him give the thumbs up. Although he did add it was a tad dry, to which I responded by placing a tub of soured cream on the side.  It was a good compliment to the roasted root veg.
I actually felt positively healthy eating this, a good sign for post Christmas. 

If you have any left, it will be absolutely fine to eat at room temperature too. Just think of it as a Winter Root Veg Barley Salad.

Cumin-Roasted Root Vegetable with Pearl Barley
Serve with soured cream..
Serves 4
200g pearl barley, cooked
1 tablespoon olive oil
Pinch of salt
Cook the pearl barley in water according to packet instructions, when cooked, drain.  Add salt and oil and combine.  Set aside until required.

For the Cumin-Roasted Root Vegetables
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 medium swede,
3 – 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 – 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced
1 bulb garlic, halved
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, whole
1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
200ml vegetable stock
Fresh coriander or parsley for garnishing.
Serve with optional : soured cream
Preheat oven to gas mark 6.
In a large bowl, combine all the vegetables and spices and then drizzle on the olive oil.  Mix well, then tip onto a large tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes for the vegetables to caramelise, stirring from time to time.  After 20 minutes, pour in the vegetable stock, stir and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes until the stock has reduced.  Remove from the oven and stir in the cooked pearl barley, return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.  Then serve with a garnishing of freshly minced coriander or parsley.


  1. Hey Shaheen, what a colourful dish! So you'll be moving back to Wales? I've always wanted to visit Wales. I hope you found a good place... with good neighbours hehe ;)

  2. This sounds so simple yet delicious.

  3. Omg! my comment worked! I've been having heaps of trouble lately but it appears I've worked it out :)

  4. This looks very yummy. Roasted cumin seeds are definitely a taste to behold. I have some barley at home that needs to be used and maybe this will be the solution.

    Very exciting that you are moving. Will you have a garden at your new place?

  5. What will you eat on your last day before moving, when the cupboards are REALLY empty, I wonder? Corn Flakes with tomato ketchup? Sardines in Stawberry yoghurt? Pasta with tinned pineapple...

  6. Hi Shaheen,
    Just love your blog and all those recipes-so inspirational!
    That looks just the thing for today's lunch-if I can find that old bag of Pearl barley lurking at the back of the cupboard!
    Good luck with the move-nice and mild here at the moment in South Wales-probably jinxed that now...

  7. Thanks Sumaiyyah.
    Colourful yeah - I struggle in the evening with lighting and this was the best way I could present this dish - close up!

    I'm looking forward to the change of scenery to be honest and hopefully a new direction with work etc. Fingers crossed about the neighbours - the difference with this place is its actually a house - not a flat - so I am excited about that :)

    Thank you Emma.

    I'm sorry to read that you've been sruggling with comments, blogger does that now and again :) Hopefully not again to you, as it is mighty frustrating.

  8. Thank you Miss Rachel.
    If you do make this, I do so hope you enjoy as much as we did. Barley can be an interesting change.

    Oh I am pleased to share that we will be moving into a house, not a flat which I've lived in since leaving home/getting married etc. Shame its not ours - rented :( - Maybe oneday. Yes it does come with a fair size garden which I have been told I can grow veg in - yipee - can't wait to get moved and stuck in.

    Hi Mark.
    Ah I think the last days may comprise of pasta salads and perhaps pizas and chips, not Corn Flakes with tomato ketchup - eek - though Pasta with tinned pineapple sounds like an interesting combo :) I think you might be onto something there.

    Lovely to make your acquaintance Green Dragonette. Love your name, it refreshing from the Red Dragonette.

    Thank you so much for your kind comment. Please do come back again.

    I'm so excited about moving, I haven't been excited in a long while and this may be the change I need. The weather in Scotland is truly miserable, its blustery and rainy now and I know when we drive back up here, snow has been forecast. So its not going to be a fun drive at all - but it will all be change soon.
    Hopefully you haven't jinxed the weather.

  9. great news about moving plans - sounds like the change you are seeking is finally coming! Have a wonderful new year down south and I wish you all the best for great change in the new year - and there is nothing like roast veg to keep out the cold

  10. Thanks Johanna.
    Yes its finally coming and hopefully Happening - the flat is not sold, and may just have to be empty for a while before it does, but I do need a change of scenery and hopefully others things will fall into place.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You