Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Vegan Strawberry Cinnamon Crumb Bars

Yesterday I was going to share progress in my garden, as well as a small harvest of fresh strawberries, but I was tired.  Even though I had not done much over the weekend, I was mentally tired and then coming back home from work, had me crashing to the sofa. 

All week I have been sharing food from overseas and other climes, but today its back to British - not necessarily these bars which are American, but I am nodding my head to one of the Best British ingredients - Yes, lets all scream Strawberries!
This was one beautiful strawberry bar.  The bottom soft spongy, the top crumbly and crunch and in between a layer of strawberries. Teasing me, first a little bit burst of fruit, then a little bit jammy and then a little bit chewy.  Nice.  Although D eats everything I make, he does not always appreciate the vegan cakes I make that often, but he loved this one and was happy that I was not going to take any slices into work to share.  Secretly I was pleased too.  
I've adapted  the recipe for Blueberry Spice Crumb Bars slightly from  Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Post Punk Kitchen's Duo.   I am not going to republish it here, if you don't have the cookbook - go on treat yourself, if not - you can find the recipe on-line.  I  replaced the spelt flour with plain flour, blueberries with strawberries and omitted the ginger and allspice.  

13 comments:

  1. Yay! I have that cookbook. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will make it some day.

      Delete
  2. YUM...strawberry crumb cake...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Nice to see you this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super. I've got that book--and berries coming in from the garden right now. I'd skipped past that recipe before as Matt isn't huge on blueberries. I don't know why I was thinking so rigidly. That isn't how I usually cook.... Anyways, we harvested about a pound of raspberries this morning and need to get to the currant and strawberries this evening when it cools down again. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, sometimes I skip a recipe but then the experimental cook or baker in me experiments and substitutes, happy eating your berries - ooooh currants, my husband would love some.

      Delete
  5. These look fantastic Shaheen - and would be perfect on a picnic (I have just done a post on picnic ideas) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, yes perfect for picnic - i have to confess I have taken them into work for breakfast too - shhuu just don't tell anyone.

      Delete
  6. Mmmmm I love fruit crumb bars. Delicious and with strawberries, perfectly summery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, just harvested a load more yesterday - must bake something else with them.

      Delete
  7. I don't have the cookbook, but I'm pretty sure at least one of my friends does. Looks so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You