Friday, 17 June 2016

White Coconut Vegan Ladoos

South Asian people traditionally don't really do cakes, they celebrate those special occasions like parties, weddings, birth of a child (grandchild, great grandchild....) and significant events like Diwali, Eid and Vaisaki and so forth with a colourful boxes of Mithai - which loosely translates as Sweets.
Laddu or Ladoo are probably the most well known Indian Sweet, followed by Barfi and Jalebi.  

I often describe Laddu's as the original bliss ball!.  Laddu's are golden balls of crumbly deliciousness, 
If you have ever watched the outstanding movie Monsoon Wedding, you will have noted throughout the film various scenes leading to the wedding day (and the wedding day) where various characters are having their mouths stuffed with a whole laddu.  I could never eat a whole one in one go - honest.  Little mouse bites for me. Yes, I am a lady  - sometimes. 



Laddu's are ttraditionally made with flour, ghee, milk, sugar, nuts.  However, my inauthentic version is vegan made with coconut flour, dessicated coconut, coconut oil and coconut paste.  These melted in the mouth a bit like candy floss and were not overly sweet which I liked.
If you want to  know more bout South Asian Sweets then follow this fantastic guide by DesiBlitz.   I am sharing this with Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition 
White Coconut Ladoos
Makes Lots
Ingredients
180g dessicated coconut
125g coconut flour
2 teaspoons Natural coconut extract paste or vanilla
4 tablespoons maple syrup or agave syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
170g coconut oil 
Method
Blitz all the ingredients in a blender, then measure using either a  teaspoon or tablespoon and roll into neat round balls, until all the mixture is used.
Refrigerate until ready to eat.

As a member of Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months to use in recipe development and blog original recipes for the Network. 


18 comments:

  1. Perfect timing on this recipe! I've just read a book partly set in India and characters ate these. Now I can get to try them too :-)

    Stephanie Jane @ Literary Flits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so funny to note that you are reading a novel that refers to them.

      Delete
  2. They look so yummy! I'm definitely going to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hold your horses Susie, I have another recipe that is sparked by these that you may be interested in trying too.

      Delete
  3. They look beautiful and delicious!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that these are just coconut balls sweetened with maple syrup! So delicious, filling, and a healthy treat. I like the idea of boxes of sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, these are not overly sweet and that is what I like about them

      Delete
  5. sounds like a great sweet treat and I love all the white in the photo - is the flower from your garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, its some kind of rose and yes, it is from our garden - which smells lovely, except the rain in the past few days has been giving them a good battering.

      Delete
  6. hat is the difference between agave syrup and white sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled it and here is the link for further information, hope it helps http://greatist.com/eat/difference-between-natural-sweeteners

      Delete
  7. These look wonderful! I work at a college and have a number of student workers from India. They make delicious looking treats like these but I cannot eat them because they usually contain milk or ghee. I'm going to try this recipe on one of their next holidays and surprise them!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for #HealthyVeganFridays and sharing on Twitter! We're Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ellen.
      Yes, Indian sweets have lots of condensed milk and ghee in them, so this is much lighter.

      Delete
    2. Hi Shaheen! Just wanted to let you know we’ll be featuring your recipe on Healthy Vegan Fridays this week! Thanks again for sharing!

      Delete
    3. Yay, thank you so much.

      Delete
  8. These laddoos look amazing, Shaheen! What is coconut paste and what can I substitute it with? I am always looking for easy to make sweets for Diwali, etc and these absolutely fit the bill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chhaya, I've jsut come by your blog and noted that you participate in Harvest Monday, nice to make your acquaintance. I am getting back to growing again, but not on the scale I used too. Anyway, here is the link to the coconut paste http://taylorandcolledge.co.uk/product/natural-coconut-extract-paste/
      Its not essential, just makes it more coconutty - but vanilla as I have suggested in the recipe is what I would recommend as a sub, if its not available. Hope this helps

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You