Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Sea Shepherd's Pie

 The weather has changed from sunshine to overcast dark skies, but the rain is welcome as the air is stuffy and humid, and the plants will appreciate it too.

Although I have lots of different vegetarian and vegan Shepherd's Pie on my blog, including a Welsh Shepherd's Piee, I do like trying other recipes.  Shepherd's Pie with mash potatoes is also one of D's favourite dishes, so he never minds when I make it or what the weather is like.  For me, Shepherds Pie is either a dish for the weekend, or for rainy days.  I am sure I am not alone in that. 
 This particular Shepherd's Pie comes from Sea Shepherd's Anti-Whaling Campaign cookbook 'Cookin Up a Storm' by Laura Dakin.  Sea Shepherd is not an animal rights organization, it is quite a unique environmental organisation.  For those of you who are not aware or familiar with the work of Sea Shepherd, well these brave and admirable individuals are literally shepherds of the sea, protecting and defending the 'graceful denizens of the sea: whales, seals, turtles, sharks and dolphins'.  Sea Shepherds role is to confront head on and challenge the illegal slaughter of endangered marine wildlife.  If you love dolphins and seals, then why not other marine life?!
I would just like to share an extract from the cookbook and I hope Lara Dakin and Sea Shepherd don't mind me doing this.  I think its quite powerful and it certainly made me think as a vegetarian.

'People are eating our oceans to death.  No fish is safe.  What most people don't realize, however, is that meat eating also greatly diminishes the oceans, because 40% of the fish taken from the sea is fed to pigs, chickens, cowls, domestic cats, and farm raised fish.  In fact, pigs are eating more fish than sharks, chickens are eating more fish than puffins, and cats are eating more fish than seals.  So really, when you eat bacon, you're eating the sea.  By serving only vegan food (on Sea Shepherd to the crew) we illustrate the relationship between what we eat and the health of our oceans.' Captain Paul Watson, one of the founders of Sea Shepherd.
Anyway, this Shepherd's Pie also happens to be Sea Shepherds signature dish.  I have a number of other recipes bookmarked to make including Fish Free Cakes, Chunky 'Beef' Barley and Ale Stew and  Asian Style Stuffed Dumplings, but this had to be the first - though  I must admit my Taste of the Sea Spaghetti was prompted by seeing a version in this cookbook. 

Although I did tinker with the recipe just a little - more leeks and reduced the lentils - the verdict is it was really, really scrummy.  It was dinner for 3 evenings served with the last of the homegrown Purple Sprouting Broccoli.  
You can find Sea Shepherd's original recipe here; or buy the cookbook and support the charity. For a review of the book, follow this link. 
To learn more about Sea Shepherd in the UK follow this link
To follow them on Twitter in the UK follow this link.
To see Laura Dakin and the other crew cooking and in action - click here.  

I am sharing this with Months of Edible Celebrations who hosts Cookbook Wednesday. and Casa Costello for Bake of the Week. 
Sea Shepherd at Cheltenham Vegan Festival
Sea Shepherd's Tote Bag at Bristol VegFest

12 comments:

  1. I saw this in a british vegan mag and thought it looked like a great pie - did you enjoy it? And that is thought provoking info from the book - makes me wonder how much of the seafood goes to domestic cats and what viable alternatives there are for feeding them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, it was oldfashioned in many ways, but yes we both thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful and it seemed to taste better a day or two later too. Yes, indeed a powerful extract that certainly got me thinking.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic post, Shaheen! You know, I never gave much thought to how we're "eating our oceans to death" Definitely food for thought:)

    I have to admit, I sure wouldn't mind coming across that book in my travels:) The Asian Style Stuffed Dumplings sound quite intriguing.

    Thank you so much for sharing, Shaheen and thank you for linking up to Cookbook Wednesday:)

    P.S. Sorry I'm late to your post. It was a very busy day with Marion again...

    I'm with you when it comes to Shepherd's Pie. It's a comforting meal best saved for chilly or rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise, You know I want to participate in Cookbook Wednesday and would love to do it every week, but I forget and am not that organised enough :( but am glad when I do. I have to admit, I had not even given much thought about our oceans either and of course I am veggie, but still - I have an impact in a different way, some small changes we can all make. I am hoping to give the dumplings a go some time. PS Don't need to apologise, its nice whenever you can pop over x

      Delete
  3. Great post. I never knew that about other animals eating all that fish - that seems crazy! I met someone at a festival a few years ago who has worked on a Sea Shepherd crew it was really interesting to talk to him about it. He did say the food was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am pleased you enjoyed this post, yes it is crazy. I think more people should know, and its up to them what they choose to do.

      Delete
  4. This sea shepards pie looks delicious, love that you added lentils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cheri, appreciate you coming over from Cookbook Wednesday - I will surely repay the compliment.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know Sea Shepherd had a cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have 2, I have the other on my wish list.

      Delete
  6. Sea Shepherds get massive respect from me for the work they do, and if there's a good excuse to buy a new cookbook, then supporting them is definitely one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, mine too - hence the reason I had to share a little here.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You