Monday, 13 June 2016

Things to Do in the Garden

I think every weekend should be long, not just Bank Holiday weekends... 
I started writing this post on Bank holiday Monday to share with Harvest Monday, I never got round to it.  but here is it a cobbled together with some pictures from the garden plot. 



Invasive mint below the unproductive apple and pear tree.  Unproductive because we have never harvested a single apple or pear in the two - three years we have been living here.  D won't dig them out as he wants to keep it for the birds, but one of them will have to go.   
And if you wade your way through the jungle of mint, hidden amongst  it you will find some strawberries flowering. 
I have harvested the last of the bolted Rainbow Chard (which reminds me I need to sow some seeds, it my favourite leafy green to grow).
And the last of the Purple Sprouting Broccoli.
Some progress - look no weeds.  And if you look closely at the back.  D has finally with the help of my nephews put up some fencing to stop the neighbours dog plundering into our garden for its daily crap.  I am happy to have my garden back.
Slowly getting there, another patch done.  The only bits that are not done.  Is right at the back, where the plum tree and raspberry canes are growing; and the patch where we had climbing beans growing.  Any suggestions what I can stick in the ground?  Can I still do potatoes for example?
Burned lots of weeds.
While I dug the earth, D cleared between the paving slabs.  The trellis at the back has lots of thorny roses.  A week later, roses are blooming.  I promise to showcase them next week.
He also cleared the green house, except there is nothing in there yet.  We are still hoping to pick up some tomato plants.  
The garden has progressed since the  last time I participated in Harvest Monday, so I am joining in again with my chives, chard and last of the purple sprouting broccoli.  Harvest Monday is hosted by Dave over Our Happy Acres.  Please do come back next week when I will show you progress of what has gone into the ground that I have dug.

21 comments:

  1. Mint is a real thug - it has to be contained in a pot around here or it will grow/self seed everywhere. And that is some lovely PSB - one of these days I'll try to grow it, although I'm fairly confident that our season is much too short. & winter is too cold.

    Well, it certainly looks like you have got a lot done in the garden. I always find that these thing take much longer than we anticipate - but what satisfaction when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I never thought of mint as a thug - but your right it is territorial. I hope you get to grow PSB, I was lucky to grow white SP too and it was lovely. I hope you will come back next week to see progress and hopefully a little harvest

      Delete
  2. Looks like you are making great progress! We are trying to finish our cleanup here as well. We had unproductive apple trees when we moved here, and cut them down finally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely am Dave. thanks. I think the pear tree will be going, not the pear.

      Delete
  3. your garden is so pretty!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, really - its a mess - but your lovely x

      Delete
  4. Oh my, your "things to do in the garden" sign is empty but always something going on, right? I love that little burn stove you have.

    And that rainbow chard!! One of my favourites as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, its empty because the rain washed it off or was it the water hosing - it should read LOTS :) I do love chard, its the one veg that makes me happy with its coloured stems

      Delete
  5. Your sprouting broccoli and chard look amazing. And it looks like you're getting lots done in the garden. We get dogs visiting our garden on a daily basis. It drives me. Crazy. I'm glad D and your nephews got it fixed for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phuong. Dogs, yes - but this is the neighbours dog, I am glad D has thwarted its attempts. It was driving me nuts with its crapping, and Its a shame you encounter it too.

      Delete
  6. Wow, your garden is very impressive. You have a great set up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, not an allotment - but its a start once again. Trouble I have been slow with the growing, been lacking motiviation, but hoping this year will be better

      Delete
  7. It is a good time of year to plant Brassica seedlings, and still not too late to fill your greenhouse with tomatoes, as long as you get some fairly big ones, maybe from a market or Garden Centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I was thinking Kale - I do love kale of all varieties, so that is good. I feel like I have forgotten everything I learned as a veg grower as to when I started this blog, feel like such a amateur now. I think D sadly won't be doing many tomatoes, which saddens me a little as he loves growing them.

      Delete
  8. that looks like massive progress already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is always so much to do in the garden isn't there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed there is, it never ends - but at least we have made a start.

      Delete
  10. I love your garden space even if it is a bit of a mess, you are so lucky! Be well and best always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you e, there is progress to share which I am pleased about - at my first strawberry yesterday

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You