Friday, 3 June 2016

Five Things From My Weekend

For Five on Fridays I thought I would share some things from last weekend.  Some of you will know it was a Bank Holiday in the U.K, which means a long weekend.  We had no plans to go anywhere this time and were hoping for good weather.  Every Brit knows, come Bank holiday weekend and usually it pelts down with rain, but not this time.  The weather was truly glorious, blazing sunshine and warmth all three days and we took advantage of it.

Other than doing some grocery shopping on Saturday at a local supermarket, we popped into a Emporium of eclectic old and new furniture, gifts, even a life size gorilla,  spider man and superman.  D was taken by this rusty metal work bird and we brought the scrawny thing back home with us.  
After our little impulsive shopping spree, we got back home. I had invited my nephews over to help us with the gardening on Sunday.  I had bribed them with a promise to feed them and D was going to give them some money as a Thank you, not that they knew that or expected it.
I made them a rather big vegan Chocolate Banana Bundt cake.  Only thing was, when it came time to eating it, they both said they were too full for a slice.  So other than taking a quarter for ourselves.  I divided the cake in two and packed it for them both to take home and share with their families. 
They did love these homemade vegan Red Quinoa, Sweet Potato and Chilli Burgers.  I could only manage one, but the boys including my husband scoffed down two, along with a packet of crisps and cola.  I don't do fizz much, but when I eat junk food, I will take a small l glass.  
I did not know how long the nephews were going to be with us on Sunday, so I  also made a Big Batch of Red Pepper and Black Bean Chilli if they stayed with us until the evening, but they left at around 5.00, so this chilli was good for a few days for our working week as well. Here it is served with cornbread. 
One of the jobs I really wanted doing in the garden was putting up some chicken wire against the neighbours fence as their dog was coming into our garden and crapping, too often now.  I  really do like my neighbours but they don't seem to control their dog and teach it its boundaries.  So I was really pleased this was achieved.  I feel better that I can grow some vegetable and herbs in my garden  without someones dog crapping in it.  
One of the jobs, D really wanted doing was clearing in between the slabs in the patio area, there was so much weed and he managed to accomplish that too with the help of the nephews.  Look, no weeds!  Its amazing how much we got done with two pairs of extra hands.  I am sorry I don't have an up-to date picture of the garden, as my mitts were really grubby by then and I was too tired by then.  Maybe next week I will show you some further progress and maybe some colour.  Hopefully some of those roses will have bloomed.  I am sharing this blog post with  the lovely Amy who hosts Five on Fridays over at Love Made My Home

15 comments:

  1. What a great use of the weekend and wow you fed them well. Love the sound of the quinoa burgers, which recipe do you use? it will great to garden without the fear of coming across dog's mess, so glad that will be over for you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that work, family time and good food...great all around! Glad you can finally grow some things without the added fertilizer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Great food. I love the burger idea. I haven't made those, but my favourite burger is a mushroom one. Makes me hungry just thinking about it. Thanks for sharing all your beautiful food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The food looks delicious, I don't mind popping around to help if that is how I am going to be rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nephews come in handy! All that delicious sounding and looking food! :) Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh that sounds like a very busy weekend indeed, lots done though and that is so good isn't it. Your garden will appreciate all of your efforts and your nephews will have appreciated all of the good food and fun time at your house too I am sure. Everything you made to eat sounds most delicious!!! Thank you for your support of Five On Friday, I so appreciate it!!! Have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, I do appreciate you coming over x And thank you as always for the invitation and the genuine warmth.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea to get some help with the garden. Your tasty treats look an ideal way of paying them back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shaheen,

    Don't worry that you don't know what to say...Just your visit and honest sharing means a lot. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your vegan meals always sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nephews ROCK!...don't they...the burgers look awesome...and I've got to try that cake...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just posted the Red and Black Chilli recipe, tomorrow I hope to share the cake recipe.

      Delete
  11. Hello Shaheen, how lovely to cook this delicious food for your loved ones and friends! The cake looks amazing as do the burgers; makes me hungry. Thank you so much for the very kind words you left on my blog. I hope you are having a fun filled weekend. Hugs to you, Pat

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You